MiniMod Thread

Got problem with your airsoft gun? Find out here
thunter124
Silver General
HumanQuestion: Yes
HumanQuestion2: yes

Re: MiniMod Thread

Postby thunter124 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:51 pm

because Jonas said to, here is my latest bit of technical wizardry. It in no way looks quite as ugly any more, and is nearer to your store bought extensions at this point.

and here is what the insides look like, Its a length of 1.5 inch PVC, with a series of .75 to .5 inch connectors, giving a quarter inch thick pressure chamber around a foot long. The inner piping had over 100 holes drilled to vent gases.

thunter124 wrote:In reality I'm fairly certain I know how it works: the burst of gas coming out of the end of the barrel would normally go into a pattern of random expansion in the air, as well as exposing the bb to wind why still have force imparting to it from the expanding gasses, producing varying forces on the BB throwing off consistency. The extensions larger inner barrel gives the gas a controlled area to expand in, and bleeding off the excess energy before it hits the open air. Basically how a muzzle break works, in that its merely redirecting the energy of the propulsion, in this case its just redirecting the extra energy into what is basically a second pressure chamber in the extension

Image showing the basic idea:
1) concentrated burst is released into main pressure chamber
2) pressure lowers over the system as the BB moves down the barrel
3) normal conditions, where gas at the end is still unexpanded and is released into the atmosphere(you can see this puff of gas during cold weather), expanding in all directions randomly(I could draw up more diagrams of how this can affect the flight path, but I dun wana)
4) with second pressure chamber, as the BB escapes the barrel and the gas is released into the now enclosed space, which reduces the randomness of the expansion, and vents pressure into the outer chamber
5) the pressure over the whole system begins to theoretically near atmospheric, and the BB begins to speed past the pressure wave
6) given a long enough pressure chamber, the BB has theoretically outrun all of the expanding gasses, leaving it only its kinetic energy as it leaves at the end, and reducing the amount of forces acting on the projectile at the end, serving to increase precision.

NOW, what I built won't work for every rifle, I was fortunate that the tanaka barrel was 1/2 inch diameter, so I was able to use standard pipe fittings with minor adjustments made for proper fitting. But the theory could still be applied to other gas weapons, given a large enough second pressure chamber. I would say, this is mainly in application to gas weapons, because of the expansive property of the propellent, but it may could work in the same fashion for a spring sniper with a serious amount of over pressure, or anything that produces an excessive amount of air.

At the moment I would say its only a theory, based off of the fact that my tanaka shot strait and true after I put the thing on. But the to me it looks to be sound, feel free to say if you don't agree or whatever :B
Feel free to message me if you need assistance with a WE-scar, gbb maintenance, or any maintenance for that mater, I'm around and checking.
Current armory:
WE SCAR, "King's special" (in for repairs)
Cyma AK-47 - "bloodbath"
KWA Mac-11, for making things loud in a hurry
Tanaka m700 breakdown, for those rare situations when I don't actually want to be seen
Jonas
King General
HumanQuestion2: SVD

Postby Jonas » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:53 pm

Need to do that for my MP7.
Real Sword SVD and KWA MP7. Accuracy by precision or volume, the choice is mine.
Own it, paint it, mod it, love it
thunter124
Silver General

Postby thunter124 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:04 pm

your probably going to need a large pressure vessel, if its anything like my mac-11, which you can see the gas cloud expand out about 4 inches from the muzzle during full auto fire. Having such short barrels, the gas will not see nearly as much expansion before leaving the muzzle as it does in a long-arm, which is why it can take a larger amount of gas to get a higher fps in shorter barrels, so there is a larger amount to compensate for with a smaller barrel. I would imagine you would probably need a pressure vessel about 2 inches in diameter and at least a foot long to contain all of the gas, this is very rough guesstimate though, it would probably take a bit of experimentation to get right, and I'm fairly certain I got mine right by magic :Y
Feel free to message me if you need assistance with a WE-scar, gbb maintenance, or any maintenance for that mater, I'm around and checking.
Current armory:
Cyma AK-47 - "bloodbath"
Tanaka m700 breakdown, for those rare situations when I don't actually want to be seen
Jonas
King General

Postby Jonas » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:15 am

I was thinking about putting in an extended barrel anyways. Got a spare 650mm from my SVD :D.

I'd really like to just to see how hot it'll shoot....
Real Sword SVD and KWA MP7. Accuracy by precision or volume, the choice is mine.
thunter124
Silver General

Postby thunter124 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:13 pm

Jonas wrote:I was thinking about putting in an extended barrel anyways. Got a spare 650mm from my SVD :D.

I'd really like to just to see how hot it'll shoot....

My highly sophistimacated reasoning would say somewhere in the range from "this should be illegal" to "why, god, why"
Current armory:
Cyma AK-47 - "bloodbath"
Jonas
King General

Postby Jonas » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:11 pm

I am in charge.

Srs tho I need to go out to the machine shop and get it recut for an NS2 bucking.
adog12341
Eat. Sleep. Live on the forum

Postby adog12341 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:55 am

Oops, sorry, forgot to update this thread. Updated. :) Keep 'em coming.

Also, thunter, as I had no clue what to call that mod, I just called it the "Epic gas rifle gas diffusion chamber" :lol: :)
THE ONLY EASY DAY WAS YESTERDAY.
My Youtube Channel
SHOW THEM NO FEAR, SHOW THEM NO PAIN.
thunter124
Silver General

Postby thunter124 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:01 pm

adog12341 wrote:Oops, sorry, forgot to update this thread. Updated. :) Keep 'em coming.

Also, thunter, as I had no clue what to call that mod, I just called it the "Epic gas rifle gas diffusion chamber" :lol: :)

WORKS FOR ME BU
Current armory:
Cyma AK-47 - "bloodbath"
IHOP
Pawn
HumanQuestion2: Yes

Postby IHOP » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:33 am

I have another mod for an AUG to fix the broken/sheared/cracked "motor plate" that you might find on an AUG from the AS Megastore bone yard. This "motor plate" as they call it just holds the gearbox tight with the receiver. This can also be done with an AUG that doesn't have a broken motorplate to free up some battery space.

1)Acquire two allen screws long enough go about half way through the receiver at the point right behind the gearbox. Leave a few millimeters space between the receiver and screws. You'll also need a bolt coupler the same inner diameter as the allen screws.

2) Measure the distance inside the receiver from the end to the part of the gearbox you want to secure it at. I put it in the middle part below where the spring guide would be.

3) Mark on the outside of the receiver where the bolt should go.

4)With a drill bit slightly smaller in diameter than the allen screws you chose, drill trough both sides of the stock at the same time to ensure the holes line up. try your best to keep it as horizontal as possible.

5) With the allen screws, screw them into the holes partially. The holes shouldn't be so much smaller than the screw that is a job on its own to screw them in, but small enough the fight tight. Attach the coupler between the screws. You'll probably need a wrench to keep the coupler from spinning while tightening the screws.

If it doesn't keep the gearbox snug in place, you put the hole too far back. Have no fear, for electrical tape is here! If that occurs, just take the screws out and wrap the coupler in enough tape so it pushes the gearbox all the way forward. After that, you might need to use a bigger wrench to tighten it, or cut enough tape away from the center of the coupler so the wrench fits while retaining tape on the sides to push the gearbox. I'm not sure how well the tape method would work with the coupler since I got it pretty much perfect the first time.
Pics:
It frees up a fair amount of battery space. I have no reference to how much since I never had the plate in to begin with, but I've talked with other people that have done this, and they say it frees up a good amount.
It looks very clean on the external side.

I got this from a member on a different forum and improved upon it. We call it the bolt mod.
HolyHandGrenade
King General
HumanQuestion2: Moo

Postby HolyHandGrenade » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:33 am

IHOP wrote:*snip*

Awesome idea!

That should also work for P90s.

Return to “Tech Talk”