F*cking M4 hop-up units

Got problem with your airsoft gun? Find out here
tylerflow
Jeweled General
HumanQuestion: Yes
HumanQuestion2: bah

F*cking M4 hop-up units

Postby tylerflow » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:10 pm

Okay, I really do not know what's going on with my M4's hop-up. So as some of you may have noticed, I go through many-a buckings for my M4 and every time I install and test one out I'm sure to tell you guys "ZOMG IT'S BETTER THAN THE LAST ONE!!!111! LAZER ACCURACY!!!" Well, in my M4 I've gone through the stock bucking, a KWA 2GX, Lonex soft, Systema, and 2 Madbull blues and have tested a REAPS and G&G green in it. The stock one performed well but I got lemon hop-up parts because both the bucking and nub ripped in normal use. The Madbulls both performed well as well but neither made it out of the hop-up without major rips :( . With the other buckings however, I seem to have a recurring problem. They will shoot very well for a short period but after that, my gun lobs BBs in big arcs that don't get past 100ft. At this point, I can only blame the hop-up unit itself or some great errors I have been committing (note that I haven't had this issue with the cursed GR15, my SR-25, or my CA). The gears are pretty much worn down on the unit itself from so much adjusting and re-adjusting so I'm probably gonna get a new one soon anyway. However, I do not want to deal with a $350+ gun that performs like a $30 springer. Any ideas as to what could possibly be up?

Also, anyone know for sure if the Madbull 3-in-1 unit fits in a VFC? I would prefer the big wheel style hop-up with a good bucking in it.
#
Killin2Agree
Pawn
HumanQuestion2: yes

Re: F*cking M4 hop-up units

Postby Killin2Agree » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:34 pm

What could be happening is that your hop up is turned up way too much. That could explain why it seems you lose compression. As for the tears, do you you use soft or hard buckings?
blackhawk13
Jeweled General
HumanQuestion2: Yes

Postby blackhawk13 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:39 pm

I still don't get how people manage to tear (or is it tare?) buckings... I have literally had buckings tied into knots and they don't rip... :|

The Madbull hopup unit should be fully TM compatible. I have one in a G&P body and it works well. It does seem a bit tighter than some other hopup units though. Don't expect to fit a Madbull bucking in there (Ironic, right?).
"Airsoft is a game, and it is a game in which honesty, integrity and honor play a very important role. This is not paintball." -NEASG Rules
I make custom Kydex gear. See some of my work HERE or email granitestateguns(at)gmail.com
Follow my blog HERE
tylerflow
Jeweled General

Postby tylerflow » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:09 pm

Killin2Agree wrote:What could be happening is that your hop up is turned up way too much. That could explain why it seems you lose compression. As for the tears, do you you use soft or hard buckings?

They tear whenever I pull them out. The VFC just wore down after a bit. They were irrelevant to the issue. The amount of hop I apply also appears to be irrelevant as no matter the setting, it always happens.

blackhawk13 wrote:I still don't get how people manage to tear (or is it tare?) buckings... I have literally had buckings tied into knots and they don't rip... :|

My silicon oil I use seems to turn to glue after a bit so my Madbulls were stuck in the unit. They tore because part of it would remain stuck through all the pulling.
#
blackhawk13
Jeweled General
HumanQuestion2: Yes

Postby blackhawk13 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:16 pm

What brand oil are you using? If the label says "super glue" instead of "silicone oil" you are doing it wrong. :lol:

Odd, I have never seen that problem. The only time I have seen a bucking rip was when a two year old bucking (horribly dried out and clearly never cared for) was ripped out of a hopup unit with pliers. Normal buckings should hold together.

Try Teflon taping the bucking before you put the barrel into the hopup unit. I have found a tight wrapped single layer of Teflon tape makes the barrel go in (and pull out) of the hopup unit much easier.
"Airsoft is a game, and it is a game in which honesty, integrity and honor play a very important role. This is not paintball." -NEASG Rules
I make custom Kydex gear. See some of my work HERE or email granitestateguns(at)gmail.com
Follow my blog HERE
epic skills
King General

Postby epic skills » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:35 am

SHS, Lonex, G&P, or any other metal hop unit will work as a replacement. I'd avoid the madbull, as I am not sure of its compatability with the VFC recievers.
FutballFTW14
Dragoon

Postby FutballFTW14 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:27 pm

epic skills wrote:SHS, Lonex, G&P, or any other metal hop unit will work as a replacement. I'd avoid the madbull, as I am not sure of its compatability with the VFC recievers.

I have a g&p metal hop up chamber and it doesn't fit in my vfc. It get's stuck on the dummy bolt and neither can move.
tylerflow
Jeweled General

Postby tylerflow » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:02 pm

epic skills wrote:SHS, Lonex, G&P, or any other metal hop unit will work as a replacement. I'd avoid the madbull, as I am not sure of its compatability with the VFC recievers.

Well, TECHNICALLY the receivers are Madbull.
#
Kreo
Pawn

Postby Kreo » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:30 am

This is gonna be a nice necropost, but I gotta add my 2 cents to this.
Guys, i have gone through almost all the hopup units out there, and for sure all hopup rubbers out there.

The number one hopup for M4 is definitively MadBull chamber (bonus is you can mount tracer unit on it)
As for the rubber:
- for weaker springs, up to M120, use silicone Guarder (the transparent one). Works amazingly well also in low temperatures.
- for springs M130 and above, use the black Guarder rubber.

yes, guarder rubbers are by far the best :)
Im not saying this just based on my experience, we have lab tested about 20 rubbers. Guarder ones have by far the best atributes. And they by far outcome all other rubbers in temperatures below 0 (celsius).

And a great tip for any hopup:
Get a teflon band. When installing rubber on the inner barrel, first, make 2-3 rounds (meaning roll it over the barrel) with teflon band right after the hopup hole on the barrel (so the teflon band is right in the place where the hopup rubber goes). THEN install the rubber on it and only then put it to your hopup unit.
When you put the hopup rubber on the barrel, the teflon band should not stick out from underneath.
I got no pictures unfortunatelly, but i hope this description gives you idea on how to do this. :)
This little tweak seals the hopup incredibly well. It stabilizes the fps ( if you have inconsistent fps issues) and increases it (since the airseal is way better).

Hope i helped.
tsabiston
Pawn

Postby tsabiston » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:19 am

Try to smooth the edges around the notch in the barrel where the bucking protrudes through. This edge can be sharp sometimes and could be ripping your buckings when a bb passes through.

Return to “Tech Talk”