High speed gearset with High FPS spring

Got problem with your airsoft gun? Find out here
xDAVEx
Knight
HumanQuestion: Yes
HumanQuestion2: yes

High speed gearset with High FPS spring

Postby xDAVEx » Sat May 11, 2013 8:14 am

So would a high speed gearset be able to pull a High fps (M130 or above) Spring?

I ask because one of my customers has purchased a Seigetek 14.09 gearset, and while, it pulls an M90 spring like butter, I don't think it'd like a Systema M130 as much.

Thoughts?
http://www.dogsofwarairsoft.com/

How to tech a Gearbox for beginners:
SjKimber wrote:practice and error... mostly error.
apoctank
Gold General

Re: High speed gearset with High FPS spring

Postby apoctank » Sat May 11, 2013 9:39 am

Depends on the motor. And the battery, sort of
ASG CZ Scorpion Evo 3 A1 - E1 Khyber Pass AKM - WE Tech M4 - G&P XM177E1 - G&P M16A1 - G&P Stoner 63 - G&G SR25 - VFC HK416c - CYMA SVD - Snow Wolf M107A1 - WE Tech Glock 19 - KART M14 JAE - WELL L115A3 - Galaxy MP5K PDW - TM P90TR - TM AUGA1 - Marushin Five seveN - KWA CZ75 - ACM Mk25 - AGM M500 - CAW GP30R
xDAVEx
Knight

Postby xDAVEx » Sat May 11, 2013 10:29 am

Well, he usually runs 9.6v batteries. But it has a G&P M170 Devil Jet.

It seems like this set-up is fine, the only thing I worry about is the battery drain. Seems like these Systema spring are STIFF and run hot. It's up and running fine right now.

mvsrocks
Panzer Dragoon

Postby mvsrocks » Sat May 11, 2013 1:26 pm

Yes. It depends on the motor strength. The Siegetek gears should handle the spring, but the gear ratio will put more stress on the motor.

I use 16:1 ratio gears with M130-M140 springs, and I use 18:1 ratio or higher gears M150+. FYI I use a Lonex A1
Selling MOSFETs
1.) 156A MOSFET with 500 Watt TVS Diode-$15
2.) 156A MOSFET with 500 Watt TVS Diode and 30A Self Resetting Fuse-$18-Out of stock
3.) 156A MOSFET with Active Braking-$20-Out of stock

Shipping cost will be $3

Feel free to message me if you are interested.
timbuktoo
Panzer Dragoon

Postby timbuktoo » Sat May 11, 2013 5:02 pm

if you're too worried maybe just put an m120. I wouldn't expect an m120 to put too much stress on a system with a HT motor. I've run 16:1's with a m110 on an SHS speed and it didnt really over heat (the gearbox shell failed soon after that though, so I didn't get to use it that much). I dont know much about motors, but if you use a linear spring it will probably stress it less than a parabolic since the force to compress won't spike near the end of the travel (personally I wouldn't use a parabolic over 110 for that reason).
"Power may justly be compared to a great river which, while kept within its due bounds is both beautiful and useful; but when it overflows its banks, it is then too impetuous to be stemmed, it bears down on all before it and brings destruction and desolation wherever it comes.”- Andrew Hamilton
A&K Mk43 MOD0JG T3-SAS-GWE M1911
Johnny SCARface wrote:Politician: Adj. means; Dumb as Rocks/Dumb*ss for a Living/One who makes Kardashian's look like Yale Grads.
xDAVEx
Knight

Postby xDAVEx » Sun May 12, 2013 6:59 pm

With .25s, this set-up is chronoing at 450 FPS +.

Seems Systema springs run HOT. Could there be any long term damage to the motor, MOSFET, or batteries in this set-up?

mvsrocks
Panzer Dragoon

Postby mvsrocks » Sun May 12, 2013 8:01 pm

Unless the motor is heating up a lot, all you should worry about from those things is the health of the pinion gear. If your shimming is decent, it should be ok. The battery and mosfet should not be affected too much.
Selling MOSFETs
1.) 156A MOSFET with 500 Watt TVS Diode-$15
2.) 156A MOSFET with 500 Watt TVS Diode and 30A Self Resetting Fuse-$18-Out of stock
3.) 156A MOSFET with Active Braking-$20-Out of stock

Shipping cost will be $3

Feel free to message me if you are interested.
xDAVEx
Knight

Postby xDAVEx » Mon May 13, 2013 8:06 am

mvsrocks wrote:Unless the motor is heating up a lot, all you should worry about from those things is the health of the pinion gear. If your shimming is decent, it should be ok. The battery and mosfet should not be affected too much.

This is where things get strange. The motor does get hot, but usually all my motors do that. Lonex, SHS, G&P M170 Devil Jets, all of them do it. It'll start happening around 100 - 200 shots.

This devil jet though, if you take it out of the pistol grip after it's hot, it's literally TOO hot to touch. Though i've noticed that with any devil jet I've worked with.

timbuktoo
Panzer Dragoon

Postby timbuktoo » Mon May 13, 2013 8:12 am

thats normal. but if it gets too hot in like 10 or 20 shots... ever realize if how a box locks up (so that you have to open it and pull the AR latch) it gets hot if you try to fire it again...
"Power may justly be compared to a great river which, while kept within its due bounds is both beautiful and useful; but when it overflows its banks, it is then too impetuous to be stemmed, it bears down on all before it and brings destruction and desolation wherever it comes.”- Andrew Hamilton
A&K Mk43 MOD0JG T3-SAS-GWE M1911
Johnny SCARface wrote:Politician: Adj. means; Dumb as Rocks/Dumb*ss for a Living/One who makes Kardashian's look like Yale Grads.
NorthernHurricane7
Dragoon

Postby NorthernHurricane7 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:07 am

If the G&P motor is getting that hot after 20 to 30 cycles, then it's probably a little too hot. If it's getting that hot at 200 rounds, then it's probably OK. As long as the battery doesn't get really hot and lasts long enough, you should be fine.
kbman99 wrote: No problem man. I mean thats what the forum is for [it] is for questions and helping others.

I tech AEG's. If you're interested, please visit http://typhoonairsoftarmament.wordpress.com/ or email me at [email protected]
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthernHurricane7

Return to “Tech Talk”