Thread of Random Thoughts

Anything goes... within the forum rules
faden
|spD|Deviant Admin
HumanQuestion: Yes
HumanQuestion2: yes

Re: Thread of Random Thoughts

Postby faden » Wed May 14, 2014 4:32 pm

I bought an original Beretta m1934 magazine recently for 50 bucks. Obviously not new but works wonders and is totally worth it.

I think a western arms 1934 magazine is the same price... if I could even find one...
blackhawk13
Jeweled General
HumanQuestion2: Yes

Postby blackhawk13 » Wed May 14, 2014 6:03 pm

Yeah, mags are over priced for what they are (at least in my opinion).

So here's a new one. Customer brings me a GBBR M4 that he bought used, as well as most of a gun worth of stock parts. Tells me that the gun has random upgrades but won't get more than a few shots on a full mag of gas. Take the gun down and notice that the buffer seems extremely similar to a real steel buffer. And by "extremely similar" I mean "It's the exact same buffer I have in my AR" buffer... Turns out someone thought that real steel buffers were the same as the hollow plastic buffers used in GBBRs. Replaced the stock buffer and the gun gets 50+ shots per mag of gas.
"Airsoft is a game, and it is a game in which honesty, integrity and honor play a very important role. This is not paintball." -NEASG Rules
I make custom Kydex gear. See some of my work HERE or email granitestateguns(at)gmail.com
Follow my blog HERE
baklash 1337
World Class General

Postby baklash 1337 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:27 pm

Jonas wrote:
baklash 1337 wrote:My dad is getting a new Santa Cruz mountain bike frame and I may buy his 2006 Santa Cruz Blur frame. This means that I'll have two bikes, including my 1990-something Klein Attitude hardtail. Since the Klein doesn't have a full suspension and can't mount disc brakes on the rear, I want to convert it to a road bike since the newer Santa Cruz is far superior at off-road.

Thing is, I really don't know what to do other than slick tires, solid fork, and maybe different handlebars.

blackhawk13 wrote:Funny how when you get into airsoft, you think that gas mags are expensive. Then you look at real steel pistol mags. HK45 mags are $60 a piece...

>H&K
>cheap

Your frame geometry will be f*cked if you give it slicks/forks/drop bars/road seat. Make it single-speed, put fat @ss tires on it, swap brakes for cantilevers, and you've got a snow-bike for WA.

I was thinking about single speed. All my shifters, derailleurs, etc. are REALLY OLD Shimano XT that have been beat up. Bad. Replacing them with something good is just not worth it (I could just get a new "meh" fixie for triple the price). Yeah, I think new bars are a bad idea. My current ones are risers, and REALLY REALLY WIDE because I'm tall-ish. I could do slicks, or I could do Maxxis Holy Rollers, which I've heard are great for asphalt and have good grip in wet conditions. Thing is that Yakima gets less precipitation than Salinas... I have an extra set of wheels anyway. Solid fork is definitely on the list though, suspensions are heavy and unnecessary on road.

BTW I have Specialized Captains (26") on the bike right now. Awesome budget tires for riding supah fast on dirt/gravel due to sheer grippy-ness.
SnakeAssault
Panzer Dragoon

Postby SnakeAssault » Wed May 14, 2014 7:38 pm

I need to sell my bike, or something.
Although it's not quite as impressive as yours, from the sound of it.
KWA G26c
Sanded slide
baklash 1337
World Class General

Postby baklash 1337 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:02 pm

SnakeAssault wrote:I need to sell my bike, or something.

The Klein Attitude frame was top of the line in its era. It's awesome for scaling hills since it's lighter than modern frames. But overall, it's about average compared to what's on the market today, especially when you consider that modern frames can mount disc brakes in the rear. Santa Cruz, on the other hand, manufactures their frames in....Santa Cruz. That's like 45 minutes from my house. They're also one of the best. When riding, you can easily tell a high quality bike from a low quality one, and a high quality one is totally worth it.
SnakeAssault
Panzer Dragoon

Postby SnakeAssault » Sat May 17, 2014 5:21 pm

SnakeAssault wrote:I need to sell my bike, or something.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
And so, my bike is now ****. Due to a minor incident involving missing sidewalk and the only other route going into 40 MPH traffic, My front rim is entirely ****, and is no longer round. On this little walmart bike, I'm not sure if makes sense to replace the rim, and do all that work.
So, that leaves 2 options:
A. Just live without a bike. Pretty acceptable since I'm downsizing, since I'm shipping out in less than 2 months.
B. Go buy this bicycle that I saw for sale for $50. Looks to be a bit better than walmart, but I've not a bloody clue. Looked at some parts to see what it really is, took some pictures. Going to google it, and ask here if that doesn't help, since you seem quite knowledgable.

EDIT: Yep. Clueless.
SRAM Gripshift shifter, 21 speed
Cstar brake lever
ASR forks
Unmarked frame. Has rear suspension in white. Most of the frame is black. Top rail is square at the front, round at the rear.
Mongoose seat
New looking knobby tires

This bike would most likely be abused. A lot. But also perhaps as a city bike.
KWA G26c
Sanded slide
baklash 1337
World Class General

Postby baklash 1337 » Sun May 18, 2014 11:37 pm

Go to a REAL bike shop and ask how much it is for them to true a wheel. A shop over here does it for $25... They might make fun of the quality/manufacturer of your wheel, but there's justification because it's a cheap Chinese bike. Don't take anything personally. There's always a false hierarchy in cycling.

I'm gonna stop going to parties in Salinas. It seems that there's always at least one moron gangster trying to sell you narcotics and create drama. I went to some parties in Chico with my sister on her graduation weekend that were actually enjoyable because mostly everyone is a college student and really awesome hang out with, in lieu of stupid losers with dead-end jobs. I need to start doing more constructive things :|
Jonas
King General
HumanQuestion2: SVD

Postby Jonas » Mon May 19, 2014 6:14 pm

Can't true a bent rim. If you want to try to fix it you can put it in a vice to get the walls parallel, then try to tap it out with a block of wood and a hammer. Not worth the effort though, just get one on CL for $30.
Real Sword SVD and KWA MP7. Accuracy by precision or volume, the choice is mine.
Own it, paint it, mod it, love it
baklash 1337
World Class General

Postby baklash 1337 » Mon May 19, 2014 7:40 pm

I didn't read his post thoroughly. kek
blackhawk13
Jeweled General

Postby blackhawk13 » Tue May 20, 2014 12:44 pm

So I just got a call about a summer job offer. I'd be working at a factory working in manufacturing. The company makes rubber parts and automotive seals, so it would be great on my resume (I'm a Chemistry major with a Material Science minor. I want to get into polymers eventually). The problem is that I'd be working week days 3pm-11pm, and with all my friends working mornings it would effectively kill any chance of hanging out with people during the week.
"Airsoft is a game, and it is a game in which honesty, integrity and honor play a very important role. This is not paintball." -NEASG Rules
I make custom Kydex gear. See some of my work HERE or email granitestateguns(at)gmail.com
Follow my blog HERE

Return to “Other off topic”