Thread of Random Thoughts

Anything goes... within the forum rules
blackhawk13
Jeweled General
HumanQuestion: Yes
HumanQuestion2: Yes

Re: Thread of Random Thoughts

Postby blackhawk13 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:46 pm

baklash 1337 wrote:.380, 9x19mm, or 9x18mm for conceal carry?

Depends on your personal needs. I am going to go 9x19mm because it's $11 a box for Tula FMJ (at least where I am), so I can shoot it a lot and readily find cheap plinking ammo for it. .380 is going to be smaller and easier to conceal, but may be slightly harder to find cheap practice ammo, plus the smaller guns may be harder to get a proper grip on (depending on your hand size). I like 9x18mm because the guns are cheap, but you will have a harder time finding proper defensive ammo for it. Also, you will be limited in your firearm options. You likely already have a gun in mind, but it's probably not an ideal concealed carry gun.

If you can find a local range that rents handguns (and can afford their rates) I would suggest you try a few out. I realized I hate .40 S&W because I fired one at a commercial range.
"Airsoft is a game, and it is a game in which honesty, integrity and honor play a very important role. This is not paintball." -NEASG Rules
I make custom Kydex gear. See some of my work HERE or email granitestateguns(at)gmail.com
Follow my blog HERE
baklash 1337
World Class General

Postby baklash 1337 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:25 pm

blackhawk13 wrote:
baklash 1337 wrote:.380, 9x19mm, or 9x18mm for conceal carry?

Depends on your personal needs. I am going to go 9x19mm because it's $11 a box for Tula FMJ (at least where I am), so I can shoot it a lot and readily find cheap plinking ammo for it. .380 is going to be smaller and easier to conceal, but may be slightly harder to find cheap practice ammo, plus the smaller guns may be harder to get a proper grip on (depending on your hand size). I like 9x18mm because the guns are cheap, but you will have a harder time finding proper defensive ammo for it. Also, you will be limited in your firearm options. You likely already have a gun in mind, but it's probably not an ideal concealed carry gun.

If you can find a local range that rents handguns (and can afford their rates) I would suggest you try a few out. I realized I hate .40 S&W because I fired one at a commercial range.

Yeah, I'd go to this one place nearby when I turn 21 next month, but the new owners are scumbags. I'll have to think about it. I'm 6'1", kinda strong, but thin. 9x19mm might be about the biggest round I'd want to carry, just talking mass-wise. Something like a fatty Glock 26 would just put a bulge in my jacket. Single-stack is king, but so is power.

If I were going the .380ACP route, there's a plethora of choices. I've fired a PPK in .32ACP and I thought the simplicity of it was pretty thrilling. But .32ACP is expensive and crappy, and .380ACP is still an option. Only reason why I would even consider it because it's proven. I know that the Ruger LCP and Kel-Tec P-3AT are cheaper and probably better performers, but I'm skeptical of newer firearms... I mean there's a reason why the PPK has been popular for over 80 years.

The main reason why 9x19mm is still appealing to me (9mm handguns are mas expensivo ._.) is because of the insanely good press that both the Ruger LC9 and Beretta Nano get. I've shot a Beretta M9A1 before, and the overall quality of the pistol was INSANE for such a reasonable price. Folks say that the Nano is the same way. Same kind of trigger too. But I'll have to try it myself.

9x18mm is probably a last resort. Yeah, cheap, cheap guns too. But I haven't seen any ammo that wasn't FMJ yet. And like you said, there's few choices. Realistically, there's two choices: PM and CZ-82. The latter is actually cheaper and uses a double-stack mag. Plus it's a CZ. From what I've heard, both are totally worth it. Fixed barrels, proven design, but they're both way heavier than anything else I would have in mind...But cheap. Absolutely better than nothing. However, I feel like getting either one will be hit-or-miss seeing that in-store retailers don't actually carry them.
blackhawk13
Jeweled General

Postby blackhawk13 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:01 pm

Funny, I've been looking at carry guns lately too. My brother in law has a Ruger SR9c that is very nice, and I've heard the LC9 has a similar feel. Right now I'm really liking the Nano that the local store has though.

I would say that your ammo options are several times better with 9mm luger over .380, and almost non existent with 9x18mm. Definitely make sure you see them in person before you buy. Even if you can't shoot them, get a good feel for the size before you buy a gun to carry.
"Airsoft is a game, and it is a game in which honesty, integrity and honor play a very important role. This is not paintball." -NEASG Rules
I make custom Kydex gear. See some of my work HERE or email granitestateguns(at)gmail.com
Follow my blog HERE
baklash 1337
World Class General

Postby baklash 1337 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:22 pm

I've been doing some thinking about this, and I don't know if I want a pocket gun as a first pistol. It would not be fun at the range. At all. Plus I figure that a bigger weapon would be more intimidating in the event that shooting isn't necessary. Yeah, I understand that flashing a gun is a criminal offense called brandishing, but I'd rather be tried by twelve... Plus I could just open carry. I'm going to go the 9x19mm compact or .38 +P revolver route in this case. I'll get back on what I decide on when the time comes.
blackhawk13
Jeweled General

Postby blackhawk13 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:07 pm

baklash 1337 wrote:I've been doing some thinking about this, and I don't know if I want a pocket gun as a first pistol. It would not be fun at the range. At all. Plus I figure that a bigger weapon would be more intimidating in the event that shooting isn't necessary. Yeah, I understand that flashing a gun is a criminal offense called brandishing, but I'd rather be tried by twelve... Plus I could just open carry. I'm going to go the 9x19mm compact or .38 +P revolver route in this case. I'll get back on what I decide on when the time comes.

Yeah, good call there. I've shot a few subcompact 9x19s and tiny .38s and they hurt.
Follow my blog HERE
baklash 1337
World Class General

Postby baklash 1337 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:41 am

I was told I'm in the wrong for going over to my new friend's house three nights in a row to get free home-cooked meals. Some people just don't understand the suffering of eating as cheaply as possible *tearfully opens can of beans*
Jonas
King General
HumanQuestion2: SVD

Postby Jonas » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:11 pm

baklash 1337 wrote:I've been doing some thinking about this, and I don't know if I want a pocket gun as a first pistol. It would not be fun at the range. At all. Plus I figure that a bigger weapon would be more intimidating in the event that shooting isn't necessary. Yeah, I understand that flashing a gun is a criminal offense called brandishing, but I'd rather be tried by twelve... Plus I could just open carry. I'm going to go the 9x19mm compact or .38 +P revolver route in this case. I'll get back on what I decide on when the time comes.

You can open carry on WA without a permit as long as you're 21. Gotta be 21 to buy a handgun from an FFL, but just 18 to buy from a resident. Come to spokane and we'll go shooting. You can shoot my 22-250 and see what it's like to hold less than 15moa at 100 yards.
Real Sword SVD and KWA MP7. Accuracy by precision or volume, the choice is mine.
Own it, paint it, mod it, love it
blackhawk13
Jeweled General

Postby blackhawk13 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:19 pm

Jonas wrote:
baklash 1337 wrote: less than 15moa at 100 yards.

I'm pretty sure my AR can do that with a no name barrel and iron sights. Was that supposed to be 1.5MOA, or 1000 yards?
Follow my blog HERE
Jonas
King General
HumanQuestion2: SVD

Postby Jonas » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:47 pm

I'm just making fun of his moist nugget firing milsurp rounds.
Real Sword SVD and KWA MP7. Accuracy by precision or volume, the choice is mine.
Own it, paint it, mod it, love it
blackhawk13
Jeweled General

Postby blackhawk13 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:55 pm

Jonas wrote:I'm just making fun of his moist nugget firing milsurp rounds.

Ohhhhh....... Haha, I get it :lol:
Follow my blog HERE

Return to “Other off topic”