how did you come up with your user name?

Anything goes... within the forum rules
tylerflow
Jeweled General
HumanQuestion: Yes
HumanQuestion2: bah

Re: how did you come up with your user name?

Postby tylerflow » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:35 pm

Was playing some Delta Force: Black Hawk Down on PS2 about 8 years ago. It was my first online FPS. I made a username but it was unavailable. The game gave me the suggestions for names that were available and I just chose "tylerflow" because it must've sounded cool. I've been using it for everything (except my email) ever since.
#
Eric
Silver General
HumanQuestion2: Nah

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:49 pm

Self explanatory.
Currently on the cutting edge of cocking about
HolyHandGrenade
King General
HumanQuestion2: Moo

Postby HolyHandGrenade » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:12 pm

Eric wrote:Self explanatory.

I don't think so. Explanation pl0x.
koolaidz83095
Jeweled General
HumanQuestion2: lol

Postby koolaidz83095 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:13 pm

This thread has been here forever and I never posted in it for some reason...anyways:

koolaidz83095 = My favorite beverage + z + my birthday.

Hazaah.
koolaidz - 'Appearing from the depths to complain about life' Edition
Eric
Silver General
HumanQuestion2: Nah

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:15 pm

HolyHandGrenade wrote:
Eric wrote:Self explanatory.

I don't think so. Explanation pl0x.

:lol: Well, my name is Eric, so, with a bit of genius on my part might I add, I decided to make my username on here the same. I know, I know. Unheard of, and I'm breaking all the rules, but what can I say. This is a small enough forum so I was able to do that, which is cool though.

And yeah koolaidz, I just saw it too.
Currently on the cutting edge of cocking about
boredgunner
Panzer Dragoon
HumanQuestion2: yes

Postby boredgunner » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:17 pm

My name refers to how a sniper usually feels in airsoft. Derived from a character listed in the credits of the 2005 film "Jarhead" by Sam Mendes, Anthony Swofford and William Broyles Jr.
All-American Airsoft Armory

A&K MK43 Mod 0
ICS M4A1 R.A.S. (lightly upgraded) - see my review
Wei-E Tech Dragon II Silver - Stock
Wei-E Tech Baby Hi-Capa 3.8 Silver - Stock

Dream Gun: Inokatsu MK43 Mod 1

Eric wrote:
APS might as well stand for "A Piece of Sh*t".
rkholton39
Lance

Postby rkholton39 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:46 pm

I used my first inital, last name and favorite number.
You didn't see nuthin'
dky.tehkingd.u
Silver General

Postby dky.tehkingd.u » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:34 am

p90bros wrote:how did you come up with your user name?

Short answer: It's incredibly complicated.

Long answer: Well you asked for it.

Several, maybe around 6, years ago, me and a friend were at a summer camp where we were bored out of our minds, so we decided to form a little mini-pseudocult thing, based on another friend's obsession with Star Wars. The three of us would be the "Sith", and another friend would form a group of "Jedi".

Soon the two groups began advertising to get people to join their side for really no reason other than for the hell of it. It's not like we even really did anything. I wasn't even too crazy a Star Wars fan... I just went along with it.

Because my group in the minipseudocult thing was the "Sith", we had to each think up some crappy dark Sith-like evil sounding names for ourselves. I don't remember any of the names except the one I chose for myself, "Darth Killyou", which I felt was suitably dark and evil/ominous sounding. And so I became known as Darth Killyou from then on, and even after summer ended and the mini-pseudocult thing was disbanded, the name Darth Killyou, or alternatively "darthkillyou" (condensed with caps and spaces omitted) stuck as my screen name for everything from Wikipedia to the Valve Developer Wiki (great site btw ;) )

The next summer, me and a different friend began to play large amounts of Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, and Counter-Strike: Source online with each other. Since my previous name stuck, I was still "darthkillyou" when playing on the online servers. However, I soon found that certain servers had this strange automated system that immediately kicked any player whose name was considered to be "too violent". I still to this day find this to be incredibly strange.

So, to conform to these server rules, I decided to change my name from Darth Killyou to something a little less violent sounding, "darth_tehthekingd_u".

-The "darth" part stuck.

-The "king" part was added from my PREVIOUS PREVIOUS screen name (simply "king" or some variant) that I used for online screen names before the Darth minipseudocult thing. That, in turn, was derived from my name in real life, Ryan, which apparently means something along the lines of "little king" in some language according to my parents.

-"tehthe" was a joke misspelling of "the", as in "the king".

-The "u" was a corrupted form of "you", intended to be used in the manner of "I pwned you!" or something similar.

-The "d" placed after the "king" was meant to evoke the verb "pwnd!", except mutated to work with the word "king".

Yeah I was crazy. 8-)

In the meantime though, I still had my "darthkillyou" account at the Valve Developer Wiki. While on one of my visits, asking questions and answering questions in the FAQ section, another member of the Wiki referred to me as "DKY", short for my "darthkillyou" name. I found this to be an acceptable shortening of the name- a simple yet unique 3-letter acronym that sounded far less violent than the full thing, and something that wouldn't make people think that I'm a serial killer off the bat. :lol:

Over the years, I began joining several other forums and websites, each with a different variant of "darth_tehthekingd_u" or something similar. It was impossible for me to remember all of the different variations and combinations of the different parts of the name, so I decided that I needed to settle on one single standardized name for all of the websites I joined.

So, I decided to fuse the complicated "darth_tehthekingd_u" with my other nickname, DKY (the shortened "darthkillyou"). After fumbling around, replacing the underscores with periods, removing the correct form of "the", and removing "darth" in favor of "DKY", I arrived at the solution, "dky.tehkingd.u". It was slightly shorter, more compact in terms of physical size on the screen, and if anyone had no idea how to pronounce it, they could always refer to the first part, "DKY" (which is already a shortening of the original name). That's also why I emphasize the "DKY" part in my signature... to subtly nudge people to refer to me as "DKY" instead of using the whole name, just to make their own lives easier. :mrgreen:

Now on most forums and websites, xfire and so forth, people just refer to me as "DKY".

On another note, I've actually heard someone try to pronounce the full name (in some honorable mention in some gaming video) and it came out hilariously bad... :lol:

IN SHORT...

"Darth Killyou"

becomes

"darthkillyou" == SPLITS to become ==> "DKY"

PLUS

"king"

becomes

"darth_tehthekingd_u"

PLUS

"DKY" (from previous)

becomes

"dky.tehkingd.u" OR simply "DKY"

8-)
HolyHandGrenade
King General
HumanQuestion2: Moo

Postby HolyHandGrenade » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:45 am

dky.tehkingd.u wrote:*snippy snip*

I wish I could say tl;dr, but I actually did read all of that... :|
dky.tehkingd.u
Silver General

Postby dky.tehkingd.u » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:57 am

HolyHandGrenade wrote:I actually did read all of that... :|

:| I am concerned.

Return to “Other off topic”