Emerson

A sharp knife is the safest knife
merkon
Dragoon

Emerson

Postby merkon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:19 am

So I purchased up an Emerson CQC-7b with wave about nine months ago after reading about it in a book, anyone else carry an Emerson? I'm a huge fan of their knives now, absolutely no wobble whatsoever, great blade quality, and the wave feature is excellent.
Does anyone else on here own or have anything to say about Emerson knives?

(side story: i was buying a pair of sandals and needed to cut the tag off while in the store to wear them out. the guy behind the counter asked if i needed a knife. I said no and 'waved' open my emerson. [for more information on how wave works, youtube it]. The guy looked shocked for a second, then waved open a CQC-16 from his pocket. We had a 15 minute conversation about knives, ended up giving me a coupon for 15% next time.)
Mira- Kill Count: 100+ :)
Winner of PMG LMG Contest
faden
|spD|Deviant Admin
HumanQuestion: Yes
HumanQuestion2: yes

Re: Emerson

Postby faden » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:34 am

I would like to purchase one of their K-bits one of these days however like Striders they are too expensive and big for EDC'ing in SoCal.

There are a couple of active employees at ASGI that carry emersons and striders I believe.

I think the Wave is an excellent addition, however personally I am not a big fan of the wave, SoCal is filled with sheeple and it'll cause them to run away and bring me problems later on if I pull it out in the wrong place. Thats why my Spyderhole + zip tie mod lasted all but 3 days. In the End I would prefer to be able to take out my blade by thumb... (or a flashy drop if possible) when I want it rather than allow it to open from my pocket or have to remember to hold down the blade as I pull it out.
merkon
Dragoon

Postby merkon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:12 pm

faden wrote:I think the Wave is an excellent addition, however personally I am not a big fan of the wave, SoCal is filled with sheeple and it'll cause them to run away and bring me problems later on if I pull it out in the wrong place. Thats why my Spyderhole + zip tie mod lasted all but 3 days. In the End I would prefer to be able to take out my blade by thumb... (or a flashy drop if possible) when I want it rather than allow it to open from my pocket or have to remember to hold down the blade as I pull it out.

I'm curious what your zip tie mod was...
yeah wave in a crowded area would be bad, though for self defense purposes (ie empty alleyway) it's great- you pull and its open with your hand already in a god position. the thumb stud is really solid as well, IMO, and i've figured out a way to flick it open without the stud at all.
Mira- Kill Count: 100+ :)
Winner of PMG LMG Contest
faden
|spD|Deviant Admin

Postby faden » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:58 pm

For spydercos that use the normal spyderhole, wrap a zip tie around the top of the hole until tight and then cut off the extra tie. The knot area will catch your pocket and open the blade on deployment much like the wave. However it does not work very well in dress/work pants.

For my benchmades even with the pivot tightened I can drop the blade from the handle upside down with a downward thrust with my hand. Also the way the axis lock is made flicking the thumbstud with my strong or off hand thumb is roughly the same speed as a kershaw leek with speedsafe.

For my spydercos, the spyderhole allows perfect thumb opening. It also allows for the spyder-drop which is essentially a flashy opening method where you grab the spyderhole and "drop" your handle and the weight of the handle + gravity opens the knife.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19818
Ender
Gold General

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:17 am

Emerson doesn't really make any knives that I like the blade shape on, not really sure why, but most (99%) of their blades that I've seen don't fit my needs. Also, I don't fully trust a liner lock, not really sure why, but I don't. If I was going to buy a knife that was that expensive, I'd get a ZT 0551 or a Hinderer or LionSteel, or if I needed absolute bombproofness I'd get an Extrema Ratio RAO and have someone make a new blade out of INFI or SR77.
I make and sell custom cutting boards. Pricing is very reasonable and the worksmanship very good. PM me if interested.
Creator of the ASGI read the bloody rules club: Read the bloody rules or we'll make you bloody with a rule.
SPC/Picam Cyst Serge wrote:I'd totally kiss a dude, tongue and all
zenmic
Cranky Old Fart: I can prove I'm right

Postby zenmic » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:31 pm

Is it such a terrible thing that we met and became friends when I saw/heard Cat do a spyder drop of an SS Dragonfly at the shop? :twisted:

faden wrote:I would like to purchase one of their K-bits one of these days however like Striders they are too expensive and big for EDC'ing in SoCal.

There are a couple of active employees at ASGI that carry emersons and striders I believe.

I think the Wave is an excellent addition, however personally I am not a big fan of the wave, SoCal is filled with sheeple and it'll cause them to run away and bring me problems later on if I pull it out in the wrong place. Thats why my Spyderhole + zip tie mod lasted all but 3 days. In the End I would prefer to be able to take out my blade by thumb... (or a flashy drop if possible) when I want it rather than allow it to open from my pocket or have to remember to hold down the blade as I pull it out.
Doing what I can to earn my title from the old forum, one post at a time.
cat61986
|spD|Celestial Cat

Postby cat61986 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:15 pm

zenmic wrote:Is it such a terrible thing that we met and became friends when I saw/heard Cat do a spyder drop of an SS Dragonfly at the shop? :twisted:

faden wrote:I would like to purchase one of their K-bits one of these days however like Striders they are too expensive and big for EDC'ing in SoCal.

It was a delica =D
i do, i do emergere dal fondo per lottare e poi
salire in alto più che mai
i do, i do guardare nel futuro e sorridere
con una nuova identit�
ASGI Sales Rep Jason
Knight

Postby ASGI Sales Rep Jason » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:37 pm

I own a Super commander and a CQC-15BTS... I love the CQC-15 and its my EDC... and the wave is good for intimidation when needed.
holic86
Pawn

Postby holic86 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:38 pm

My EDC for 2 years was a CQC16. Now I tend to fluctuate between a Super Commander and a Benchmade 860.

I'd never be caught without my trusty Super K-bit.

As for using a knife for intimidation, I suppose it could work. However, a knife should only be drawn if you intend to use it.

Return to “Knife Center”