Oiling a knife

A sharp knife is the safest knife
Jonas
King General
HumanQuestion: Yes
HumanQuestion2: SVD

Oiling a knife

Postby Jonas » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:32 pm

For my birthday I got a Glock Knife (really nice knife, especially considering the price), and the thing's COVERED in oil, I know that it's made of a high-strength low-corrosion-resistance steel, but this much oil almost seems excessive, how much should there be? I'm also assuming that it's to help the knife slide out of the polymer sheath a little easier.
Real Sword SVD and KWA MP7. Accuracy by precision or volume, the choice is mine.
Own it, paint it, mod it, love it
zenmic
Cranky Old Fart: I can prove I'm right

Re: Oiling a knife

Postby zenmic » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:06 pm

It is fine to wipe the knife down. The oil was there as part of packing. I want to say even brand new Glock firearms from the factory have quite a bit of oil in them as well. I am pretty sure mine was quite oiled as well when it was brand new, but that was over 10 years ago. It is now dry and just as functional now as it was then.
Doing what I can to earn my title from the old forum, one post at a time.
Jonas
King General

Postby Jonas » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:56 pm

Okay, I'm not familiar with oiling knives, what kinds of oil are okay to use and how often should I oil it?
Real Sword SVD and KWA MP7. Accuracy by precision or volume, the choice is mine.
faden
|spD|Deviant Admin
HumanQuestion2: yes

Postby faden » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:43 pm

Depends on the knife and it's use.

Personally use Breakfree CLP and Tufglide on my workhorse/EDC knives and Olive/Veggie oil on my food knives kitchen/folding/fixed.

Wipe it down to a thin layer.
Jonas
King General

Postby Jonas » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:51 pm

It's the Glock knife, made from spring-steel, so it's prone to corrosion. I'll be using it for camping and snowboarding (cutting rope for the shots that we take from up in the trees)
faden
|spD|Deviant Admin
HumanQuestion2: yes

Postby faden » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:37 am

Jonas wrote:It's the Glock knife, made from spring-steel, so it's prone to corrosion. I'll be using it for camping and snowboarding (cutting rope for the shots that we take from up in the trees)

You should have a blade with blade coating no? Either way for good practice and preventive maintenance is to keep a fresh thin layer of oil over the blade after cleaning.

Breakfree CLP and Tufglide are your friends. CLP works great as an all around oil. As it's name suggests it is a cleaner, lubricant and protector. Tufglide works great for dry lubrication and rust protection.

http://www.break-free.com/products/prod ... reeclp.asp

http://www.sentrysolutions.com/

So long as you use a separate veggie/olive/mineral oiled knife for your foods you are good. Mineral oil itself is great for corrosion protection. Considering you can use CLP to clean roughly anything out of your firearm I do not suggest you use it to eat with. ... Though I know some people that have and they said it makes their food taste bitter... I seriously wonder what else CLP does to their insides :shock:

:edit:faden::Oh btw if you will be storing your blade for a long time/storage you will want to use CLP/tuf or mineral oil. Veggie and Olive oil are great but tend to expire and gunk up thus even within a sheathe the blade will still attract dust.
Jonas
King General

Postby Jonas » Sun May 01, 2011 5:09 pm

Awesome, thanks a ton Faden!

Return to “Knife Center”