Looking for a good EDC blade, for around $40 or less...

A sharp knife is the safest knife
kyle429
Silver General
HumanQuestion: Yes
HumanQuestion2: yes
Location: City of Churches/Last Capital of the Confederacy, VA

Re: Looking for a good EDC blade, for around $40 or less...

Postby kyle429 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:33 pm

faden wrote:Ya frost knives do look nice but the handle and blade materials are utter crap.

What uses are you using the knife for?

I'm just using it for general EDC type stuff(opening packages, cutting loose strings from clothing, etc.), but would also like to have a good enough knife for if(God forbid) anything um, inappropriate(for lack of a better word) goes down, I could depend on it.

cat61986 wrote:I will go ahead and admit that my first knife was a Frost knife. The thing sucked balls. Blade couldn't hold an edge, the clip broke off after a few uses, and then it fell out of my pocket in one of the UCLA lecture rooms.

Then I got a Kershaw (the Vapor, to be exact), and was as happy as can be.

Can't say much for the SOG flash, though I have a few buddies with SOG knives in general. Not bad little pieces, and will definitely be better than Frost.

Yeah, that's what I think too. My Frost is okay, it just can't hold an edge, which seems to be common with Frost blades :lol:. I saw a SOG Flash II in our local Dick's Sporting Goods, but it was like $50, and I found the exact same knife on Amazon for 32 bucks. Last time I was in Wal-Mart they had some Kershaw knives, so next time I go I'm gonna take a look at them in person.

2 Timothy 4:7-8
DrZeus
Pawn

Postby DrZeus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:25 pm

5.11 sidekick boot knife is my EDC knife, just make sure its legal to carry in your state if you decide to buy it ;)

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products ... Knife.html
"buffaloes are my new favorite animal...except momma dog, cause i love momma dog"
kyle429
Silver General

Postby kyle429 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:58 pm

DrZeus wrote:5.11 sidekick boot knife is my EDC knife, just make sure its legal to carry in your state if you decide to buy it ;)

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products ... Knife.html

Looks cool, but I'm looking for a folder, not a fixed blade. ;)
Thanks anyway though.

pyromaster55
Dragoon

Postby pyromaster55 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:51 pm

Back from the dead!

I'm going to back cat and faden on the Spyderco Delica if you haven't already made your purchase. You should be able to find one for about $45-50 and it is definitely worth the little bit of extra cash. Also look into the endura, essentially the same knife only larger. My current EDC is a FFG endura. Vg-10 steel, FFG blade, skeletonized liners, tip up/down and right/left hand carry, all for $47 when I bought mine. It's also very light, I was worried about carrying such a big blade, but the weight is minimal considering the size. The extra blade length also pushes it towards the tactical/EDC role instead of just edc. ( I feel I must tell you that pulling a knife is the LAST thing you want to do in a fight. Worst case scenario they have a gun and shoot you, best case you are defending yourself in a court against an assault with a deadly weapon charge. Best defense is a pair of Grade A running legs.)

Hope this helps.
"I love that image of blasting backwards through the pearly gates in a flaming Swedish super car, 'YES I'M HERE, WHERE ARE THE WOMEN?!?"
kyle429
Silver General

Postby kyle429 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:15 am

pyromaster55 wrote:Back from the dead!

I'm going to back cat and faden on the Spyderco Delica if you haven't already made your purchase. You should be able to find one for about $45-50 and it is definitely worth the little bit of extra cash. Also look into the endura, essentially the same knife only larger. My current EDC is a FFG endura. Vg-10 steel, FFG blade, skeletonized liners, tip up/down and right/left hand carry, all for $47 when I bought mine. It's also very light, I was worried about carrying such a big blade, but the weight is minimal considering the size. The extra blade length also pushes it towards the tactical/EDC role instead of just edc. ( I feel I must tell you that pulling a knife is the LAST thing you want to do in a fight. Worst case scenario they have a gun and shoot you, best case you are defending yourself in a court against an assault with a deadly weapon charge. Best defense is a pair of Grade A running legs.)

Hope this helps.

Where did you get your Delica? Like in a local store, or online? I've been looking at them online for a while(NONE of my local stores carry any Spydercos :(), and the cheapest I've found so far is around $53.

I love the look of Spyderco knives, which is why I was looking at the Tenacious or the Persistence. I also like those two because they are liner locks, instead of the lock-back design on the Delica/Endura. I wouldn't mind the lock-back, but I'm just saying I like liner locks/frame locks a little better(My current POS EDC knife is a frame lock. Just to clarify, it's a POS because of the unknown blade steel that can't hold an edge for very long, not because of the frame lock).

-EDIT-: Okay, new question. How do y'all feel about Boker knives? I've been looking at the M-Type, and the Trance, which are both designed by a dude named Chad Los Banos, from Hawaii. They seem like really good knives going by the specs, but I've never seen either of them in person. Thanks :D.

faden
|spD|Deviant Admin

Postby faden » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:58 am

Still think you should have a road trip to New Graham knives and just try EVERYTHING out. Make the trip worth it.. :twisted:
kyle429
Silver General

Postby kyle429 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:05 am

faden wrote:Still think you should have a road trip to New Graham knives and just try EVERYTHING out. Make the trip worth it.. :twisted:

I might do that, depending on when we have the time, since it's not that far. Thanks for the suggestion, Faden. :)

DrZeus
Pawn

Postby DrZeus » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:15 am

just got a CRKT M16-13 Special Forces tanto for $31. it is fantastic. just another suggestion.
"buffaloes are my new favorite animal...except momma dog, cause i love momma dog"
kyle429
Silver General

Postby kyle429 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:27 am

DrZeus wrote:just got a CRKT M16-13 Special Forces tanto for $31. it is fantastic. just another suggestion.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

pyromaster55
Dragoon

Postby pyromaster55 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:36 am

kyle429 wrote:
pyromaster55 wrote:Back from the dead!

Hope this helps.

Where did you get your Delica? Like in a local store, or online? I've been looking at them online for a while(NONE of my local stores carry any Spydercos :(), and the cheapest I've found so far is around $53.

I love the look of Spyderco knives, which is why I was looking at the Tenacious or the Persistence. I also like those two because they are liner locks, instead of the lock-back design on the Delica/Endura. I wouldn't mind the lock-back, but I'm just saying I like liner locks/frame locks a little better(My current POS EDC knife is a frame lock. Just to clarify, it's a POS because of the unknown blade steel that can't hold an edge for very long, not because of the frame lock).

-EDIT-: Okay, new question. How do y'all feel about Boker knives? I've been looking at the M-Type, and the Trance, which are both designed by a dude named Chad Los Banos, from Hawaii. They seem like really good knives going by the specs, but I've never seen either of them in person. Thanks :D.

I think I got mine from yourcornerstore.com with a discount code. I understand the linerlock vs lock back, but have you used a lock back before? I actually like them a bit better because they are more ambidextrous friendly, easier to use with gloved hands, and lock a little more securely. I'd definitely suggest playing with one a bit before writing them off if you haven't done so already. Check out Byrd knives also. They are by spyderco, but manufactured in china to keep costs down. QC and overall build are still VERY impressive. They use 8cr13mov steel (same steel which is in the tenacious) which is a pretty good steel, especially for the price. In my opinion it's hard to beat a byrd knife on value, as many of their competitors offer inferior steel and fewer features for the same price. Many byrd knives can be had for <$20 in FRN handle material and right around $30 for stainless or G10 handled versions. Take a look at the Medowlark and Caracara, or the Raven if you are definitely sold on a liner lock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3KOLmMg ... ture=feedu
"I love that image of blasting backwards through the pearly gates in a flaming Swedish super car, 'YES I'M HERE, WHERE ARE THE WOMEN?!?"

Return to “Knife Center”