I'm looking for a couple knives

A sharp knife is the safest knife
waffelcopter
Gold General
HumanQuestion: Yes
HumanQuestion2: yes

I'm looking for a couple knives

Postby waffelcopter » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Like the title says I'm looking to get a few knives: an EDC, one for my dorm room, one for the workbench, and a keychain one. My experience with knives is fairly limited only having owned a Schrade 'Old Timer' Pocket Knife. It was okay but a little big to carry around and didn't hold an edge very well.

I don't really know what I like for things like assisted opening or locks or what not and I plan on going to a store to handle them but I'd like to go in there with a little knowledge of what I might be looking for. My budget isn't huge and I don't want to spend more than 40 on each one, and preferably under for each of them. I'm really looking for "bang-for-your-buck" products.

Basically here's what I'm looking for in each product:
For an EDC I want something light, not too big, and not too aggressive looking. I was originally looking at the Kershaw Onion Leek but the blade is 3in and the limit for MA is 2.5, I will probably get one of these though when I go to college as TN has a 4 in limit.

For the dorm I want something that is a little bigger and more heavy duty. I want it to be something I could use on food too.

For the workbench I need something tough and sharp that I can beat up. I definitely want something partially serrated for this.

For the keychain I want something tiny that I can have in situations when bringing an EDC isn't okay. I always have my keys with me and this would be almost a novelty but still useful for little things. I was thinking this.

Any help you more experienced guys *cough* cat and faden *cough* can give me would be greatly appreciated.
I wish I had more time to devote to airsoft...
faden
|spD|Deviant Admin

Re: I'm looking for a couple knives

Postby faden » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:26 pm

40 is low for the best-bang-buck deal.

EDC now: http://www.knifeworks.com/kershawkenoni ... oedge.aspx

EDC later: http://www.knifeworks.com/kershawleekpl ... heath.aspx

Dorm (no restrictions on "weapons"?): Personally kept EDC sort of hidden and I had a fixed blade as a "kitchen knife" I would suggest keeping food and everything else use knife separate. http://www.knifeworks.com/sogauracampin ... andle.aspx

Workbench: http://www.knifeworks.com/gerberguardia ... andle.aspx

Keys: http://www.knifeworks.com/spydercobugkn ... nedge.aspx

Or you can combine your budgets together and just get a more expensive knife that can be used in all situations and then some: http://www.gpknives.com/zerotolerance0551.html
cat61986
|spD|Celestial Cat

Postby cat61986 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:18 pm

The Spyderco Bug is too tiny to be of real use, in my opinion. Great as novelty, but a PITA if you really plan to use it, even as a last ditch knife. Maybe the Spyderco Dragonfly, but it's still very noticeable on a key ring.

I will agree with Faden: Kershaw knives. They're durable enough, they are a good size, and they are not bad prices. My first blade was a Kershaw vapor, it's been around 7-8 years ago now, and I still use it to chop up cardboard boxes, plastics, etc.

I wouldn't recommend any Gerber pocket knives (I don't know, I've just had bad experiences with them), but getting actual Gerber tools aren't bad. Their axes, and huge knives seem to be pretty durable and that you can really beat up on.

I also have CRKT knives, which are supposed to be swore upon by wilderness people. I think they're kinda cute, and they can cut things down if necessary, but some of them I wouldn't trust to scrape bark off a stick.

If you can't get the Kershaw Leek, the Kershaw Chive or Scallion may be a better/shorter size. But, the chive can be a bit unwieldy if your hands are too small.

If you can get a Spyderco Delica, I still say that those are awesome. You may be able to find one your range on ebay.

For the keychain, why not go for a tiny multitool instead? That way you have a knife, screwdrivers, scissors, etc. I'd say the Leatherman Squirt or S4...
i do, i do emergere dal fondo per lottare e poi
salire in alto più che mai
i do, i do guardare nel futuro e sorridere
con una nuova identit�
waffelcopter
Gold General

Postby waffelcopter » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:14 pm

Thank you for your suggestions guys, you really helped.

It would be nice to get one "all in one" knife Faden but I wouldn't trust myself to carry that around without losing it. Also I wouldn't really use it enough to justify spending that much on one knife (not that that's ever stopped me before on other things). By splitting the purchases up a little it allows me to wait on the ones I don't need yet, like the one to keep I'm the dorm and the EDC over 2.5 inches. A little more reading up on the internet seems to say that there is no limit except those imposed by certain towns. My town and most of the towns I trend to drive through don't seem to have restrictions so I don't think I'll have a problem.

I like your idea Cat of getting the Squirt instead of the Bug just on a utility standpoint but I'll probably end up getting both. I just looked at a bunch of reviews on the Delica and it seems really nice but is it really worth the extra money over the Leek? Also there were some comments comparing the full flat grind to the saber grind, which one do you think is better?
cat61986
|spD|Celestial Cat

Postby cat61986 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:13 pm

I think the Delica is one of the best knives out there for people on a budget. As said previously, you can probably get it online somewhere or on ebay for a cheaper price. In terms if it's better than the Leek, that would be up to you. I don't like speed-assist knives, so I would say that the Delica is awesome. As for the Leek, if the speed-assist spring dies, you'd have to get the knife repaired, which could take days/weeks depending on where you send it to for work. You'd still be able to use the knife, though, if the spring is broken. But because it's advertised as speed-assist, that money is out the window when it fails. For the Delica, all you need to ever worry about is sharpening. Either get it professionally done or buy the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

As for full flat versus saber, I can't really say if one is better than the other.
i do, i do emergere dal fondo per lottare e poi
salire in alto più che mai
i do, i do guardare nel futuro e sorridere
con una nuova identit�
faden
|spD|Deviant Admin

Postby faden » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:10 am

Flat - Sharper - Not as strong due to the grind starting at the spine
Sabre - Stronger - Not as "sharp" there is increased drag. Grind generally starts at the middle of the blade
waffelcopter
Gold General

Postby waffelcopter » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:43 pm

So today when I was at Dicks Sporting Goods today getting some stuff and I decided to take a look at the knife section. Out of everything there the only one that rang a bell was the Gerber Paraframe. I remembered that it was a pretty decent knife for the price so I picked one up for like 20 bucks, over priced compared to online it seems but not a huge amount. So far I like it. Opening isn't bad, it's really light, 2.3 inch blade, and came sharp enough so it really fits what I need for now. Eventually I'll probably get a Delica or a Leek when I can find a place to try them out in a store. I'll also get some of your other suggestions later but this will be enough for now.

Thanks a lot guys even though it seems like I just ignored your advice. I will be taking it though when it comes time to get some of the other stuff I need
faden
|spD|Deviant Admin

Postby faden » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:26 am

Paraframe was one of my first knives. I did not bring it up because the frame lock failed on me within 6 months. Though the blade has held quite the edge throughout the time I had it as my EDC.

I was able to fix the lock by tearing about the knife and putting it back together but it still doesn't lock like its original specs/hard lock up so I retired it from EDC status.
ralph4769
Pawn

Postby ralph4769 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:54 pm

The very first knife I aver had was a Spyderco Military knife. This kind of knife is very nice to use in the field since it has an immense cutting power, lightweight yet ergonomic and indestructible.
"He felt secured while wearing his police belts and holsters."
TheWrathPrince
Pawn

Postby TheWrathPrince » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:52 am

hi mate! have u heard about Al-mar knives set?
"All that is your is rightfully mine, and mine it will be." - The Dark Prince paring knives

Return to “Knife Center”