Home security breech. need opinions *UPDATE*

Where the useless but good threads go
congo
Lance

Re: Home security breech. need opinions *UPDATE*

Postby congo » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:56 am

Cool, Thanks Kilo. Yeah, I'm definately gonna check out Fry's surveillance stuff and I never even thought about a perimeter alarm. My biggest concern about cameras is it must be IR, and it must show "good-e-nough" detail incase someone needs a little convicting! :mrgreen: Can you link me to the cameras you got or post the make/model#?

Yeah, the neighborhood seems decent enough, but it just so happened that the two houses my Uncle bought are on either side of the "trouble makers" Yep, that's right! I'm going to be living on one side of them, and my Aunt and cousin on the other! :roll: My Uncle was in a rush to purchase a couple houses, and because of that we didn't take the time to research the area. Both need a little TLC $$$, but he got them for a steal (I guess we now know why :roll: ).
CA36C w/ G&G G36K RAS kit | Bravo RDW | G4 PWS Diablo | G&G PM5 | Tokyo Marui Mp5K w/ M4 retractable stock & chopped foregrip | DE M3 Tri shot Shotty | WE Hi Capa 5.1 | KSC M93RII w/ G&G Compensator kit, 6.01 TB barrel | KWA KP45 Match | SG Wilson Combat CQB Elite
KiloBravo
Lance

Postby KiloBravo » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:21 am

Most if not all CCTVs are IR capable ( all 4 of the "standard" cameras that came with the recorder are IR capable and can see details pretty good ( plus motion sensing lights helps a lot anyway ) I did buy an extra camera that is HD and IR that is aimed at the street ( it's a cul-de-sac so we keep a tight lid on who comes and goes ) even the wireless cameras are IR, on the flip side since there are so many houses going into escrow etc. so many people have moved here, including the bad guys ( as in like that SWAT officer that was killed 4 blocks from here this year ) houses typically dont have too many rules like apartments do , so they moved out here , and guess what ? their rivals ( possibly feeling the impact of absurd gas prices, decided to move somewhere close so they can drive-by-carpool to their rival's new house ) we've reinstituted the neighborhood watch, no tags, no loitering, no midnight music bumping, no car with loud music cruising, nothing dumb is tolerated on my watch. oh and I just bought a sweet M1A1 carbine for 200 bucks at Big 5 near topanga while shopping for exercise equipment ! ( and a Mossberg shotgun for 300 bucks to go with it ) :shock:

btw when some punks broke into my truck to steal my GPS unit ( ironically after having called the GPS manufacturer they said they don't track their own units even upon request , I mean WTF it's a GPS ! ) I caught them on the secondary camera set, gave it to the police, but since there was no 'death' or bodily harm involved they had the typical red tape ... so I decided to find the suspect vehicle on my own using a printout of the plate number and vehicle features .... it turns out it's the same runts that stole the honda the month before ( all the idiots took was the car stereo, left the car a few blocks away, was towed, the towing fee costs more than the stupid stereo ! ) I pulled up to their place, rang the doorbell, out comes the mom all suprised I showed her the video of both her kids, in her honda minivan with the license plate shot, driving right up next to the truck, getting out wearing a raincoat ( which she found still in the minivan ) breaking my driver side window, leaving some fingerprints on the A-frame pillar by the side mirror, grabbing my GPS unit ( with password ) and making off towards the general direction of their home, since this occurred at around 4 am that morning, the runts where asleep ( 16 year old & 14 year old brothers ) the mom drags them downstairs, I identify the younger one as the one that broke my window, I tell them to compensate for the damages & to go discipline the bastards, the dad comes home, tells me to go 'take a hike, those aren't my kids in that video' and launches into some sort of tyrade about "asians in the neighborhood bringing down the value of the place" I um ( I'm not proud of this ) launch myself at the bastard and proceed to innumerate the many things WHY I should be ***** and he should be shutting all while I was giving him some new facial features. um and that's how I ended up in a holding facility ( fancy name for jail ) for 1 night , all charges have been dropped against me, after they decided to settle and call it quits ( I'll leave it to your imagination who I called with that 1 phone call from the west hills station ) :twisted:
-Trust me with your life, not your money or your wife !
zenmic
Cranky Old Fart: I can prove I'm right

Postby zenmic » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:45 pm

How,

First thing first, change out ALL your locks. I would strongly suggest Master and Kwickset. The Kwicksets are pickable with bad picks in about 30 seconds. I have Schlage locks on my place; not the best but better than Kwicksets. If you can afford them, then I suggest Medeco locks. They really are the ones that are short of drilling out or taking the door off the hinges, completely impossible to break open. If you have to have a Master Pad lock for the yard lock, the use the Professional series. Those are shim proof, but still pickable. Kilo is right, even the cheap digital CCD cameras at Frys will do some IR. I believe that Fry's has an entire collection of Swann stuff. I am a little confused with California law. I recall something about it is okay to surveillance record the public with video only, not video and audio without a warrant. I am extremely confused about this, but if you are just doing video you should be covered. You can have IR floodlights at night in the areas that you don't want standard floodlights to trigger ;that should work with standard CCD video equipment. Repair the fences, and make it taller if you can.

I seem to recall that civilians are not allowed to carry or "use" expanding batons in California, but it does not say anything about Baseball/Softball bats. As for pepper spray, I am confused about the rules in the different cities/counties. I seem to recall that as a civilian you can not use the same dosages as the police, but you can use any of the over the counter stuff.

On the psychological side, I would make an effort to slowly and obviously take out my gun bags to and from my car. You know that your guns are fake, but the kids do not and that alone could strike fear into stoners. Now if they are the worst kind of hoods, then it might backfire and they will just assume you to be the largest threat, and tag you first. Anyway, you do not obviously show that you have firearms, just bags that firearms are usually used to transport firearms.

Good luck sir. I would post signs up that you have active security and make lots of friends with the police in the area. Hell have them start visiting randomly stopping by to say hello or for random things, it would make the stupid kids think that you are personal friends with the cops and that the cops come in just to say "hello" which should spoil their day.
Doing what I can to earn my title from the old forum, one post at a time.
cat61986
|spD|Celestial Cat
HumanQuestion: Yes
HumanQuestion2: yes

Postby cat61986 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:41 am

Expandable batons are illegal in california unless you're part of the police force. I've been wanting one for awhile, but I can't cause I'm a civilian T_T

I was wondering that if one of them broke into the house while you were around, and you had a gun, would you shoot them? Just wondering if you'd get a real steel because if they're in the house, and they plan to "attack", you have the right. But it's Cali, and everything is frowned down upon....

Just for preparation's sake, make sure you have all available emergency numbers (fire dept, police dept, etc), know where the nearest hospital/emergency room, etc. Be prepared.
i do, i do emergere dal fondo per lottare e poi
salire in alto più che mai
i do, i do guardare nel futuro e sorridere
con una nuova identit�
congo
Lance

Postby congo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:37 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. We've changed out all the locks to Schlage already and the gate is now padlocked from the inside. I'm not too worried about these kids picking locks, they don't seem too bright. As far as the baton goes, yeah I'm confused too. All the places I've checked out will ship that one I linked to Cali, I guess because it is a "stun baton", rather than a regular baton, it makes it legal to own here. I dunno, I'll have to check with the PD to find out for sure. I found a site that has a clip of it, it pretty intimidating. When you deploy it, a section if it energizes and crackles. I know all of them do that at the tip, but this one does it down the legnth, part way. I'll try to find it again.
CA36C w/ G&G G36K RAS kit | Bravo RDW | G4 PWS Diablo | G&G PM5 | Tokyo Marui Mp5K w/ M4 retractable stock & chopped foregrip | DE M3 Tri shot Shotty | WE Hi Capa 5.1 | KSC M93RII w/ G&G Compensator kit, 6.01 TB barrel | KWA KP45 Match | SG Wilson Combat CQB Elite
faden
|spD|Deviant Admin
HumanQuestion: Yes
HumanQuestion2: yes

Postby faden » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:19 pm

cat61986 wrote:Expandable batons are illegal in california unless you're part of the police force. I've been wanting one for awhile, but I can't cause I'm a civilian T_T

I was wondering that if one of them broke into the house while you were around, and you had a gun, would you shoot them? Just wondering if you'd get a real steel because if they're in the house, and they plan to "attack", you have the right. But it's Cali, and everything is frowned down upon....

Just for preparation's sake, make sure you have all available emergency numbers (fire dept, police dept, etc), know where the nearest hospital/emergency room, etc. Be prepared.

And you were about to shoot me when I "broke" in this morning :o
KiloBravo
Lance

Postby KiloBravo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:59 pm

I have a keypad deadlock in the front door, it keeps intruders out ( or when i first got it and forgot the code for the week ... ME ) it has an "armored" faceplate that prevents intruders from getting through. on the subject of 'would you shoot someone who is on your property illegally? " well, I have done so in the past, though there was no fatality, it sure made for one helluva prolonged legal arbitration ( I'd like to avoid it , believe me the potential to take another person's life no matter his intention, specially up close and personal-like is a huge consideration, it's easier said than done ) taking out the gun cases and such to and from the car can work both ways, be careful because it might also temp them to go steal those as well ( if they are as dumb as you say they are, i wouldnt put it past them ) :D
-Trust me with your life, not your money or your wife !
zenmic

Postby zenmic » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:59 pm

I can not take credit for this, but I saw it in another forum on a similar topic. How, you mentioned a backyard thing, right? That would mean something possibly needing a sprinkler system. How about a motion sensor/motion triggered sprinkler system? If the sorry stoners do come into your lawn and trigger the sprinklers then their unprotected stash will be damaged and too wet to ever smoke, which is literally rain on their parade. With the addition of the camera, and lights you should have hours of entertainment. :twisted:

Stun batons, and expanding batons may be illegal, but like I said softball/baseball bats are not. They are perfectly legal and quite common in any household. When used to strike the same areas as the stun batons they work just as well. People seem to forget just how much a motivator blunt trauma can be. It is not as neat or pretty as say a slug thrower, or a stabbie, stabbie, but it definitely can and will get the message across or the job done, which ever you prefer.

Hope this helps.
congo
Lance

Postby congo » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:43 am

Yeah,...no....I don't want to shoot anyone. Hell, I haven't even shot real steel in about 20 years. These kids are just that, Kids. That's why I'm looking for less-than-lethal alternatives.

I like the sprinkler Idea mic. That sounds pretty amusing.
zenmic

Postby zenmic » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:44 am

I figure the sprinkler bits would be appealing and entertaining. Hell it should keep wandering rodents, cats, dogs, and kids out of the yard as well. However, I would not set the sensors to be too sensitive. Imagine the mayhem of the sprinklers triggering the lights, and the lights triggering the sprinklers. Water is considered harmless in most law-enforcement mindsets. Baseball bats and softball bats look completely common and something easily found in the house. The easiest excuse would be that you, your kids, or your S.O. play in some ball league. That gives a reason for you to have sporting equipment in the house. Now, using the sporting equipment for a blunt trauma motivator is besides the point. Also it can be considered "less lethal" than a stabbie or slug thrower. Items such as expanding batons and stun batons are seen as used by law enforcement, therefore "civilians" are untrained and unfit to use them in the Californian mindset. Pepperspray/OC/Mace, get the highest dosage that you can legally get over the counter and keep it around.

I have a question, has there been any issues with the bad kids attempting to pry your windows, or doors? If that is the case, then I would definitely have the local police around on speed dial. Have them see if they can start patrolling more often. That changes the issues from stupid stoners trying to find a place to hide and toke up to Breaking and Entering.

What about your uncle's other house? Are they having the same issues? Do you need to protect that place too?

Return to “Heaven”