Gas Comparison - CO2 vs Propane

From Classic Airsoft to recent GBBs
themcggamer
Pawn
HumanQuestion: Yes
HumanQuestion2: yes

Gas Comparison - CO2 vs Propane

Postby themcggamer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:20 pm

I am just starting out. I found a couple pistols I am interested in. I guess now I need to find what the best gas type is.

SO, I have been going back and forth, CO2 or Propane.

I like the CO2 size, I am not shooting at a field but instead a few friends who use CO2 and a few targets.

The propane is bigger size but it seems cheaper.

What are pros/cons of both? What do you use?
Airsoft Gi Darren
Lance
HumanQuestion2: Yes

Re: Gas Comparison - CO2 vs Propane

Postby Airsoft Gi Darren » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:48 pm

It depends on what your needs are and where you live.

I found that generally Co2 is better at handling low temperatures than green gas (propane) is. Of course, this depends somewhat on the gun itself, as some guns (WE-Tech) have a tendency to be fairly gas inefficient.

I'd consider Co2 if:

Temperature varies quite a bit where you live (60 degrees)
You have access to an easy supply of 12g co2 cartridges

Otherwise, I've found that green gas is generally superior.
SnakeAssault
Panzer Dragoon

Postby SnakeAssault » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:02 pm

I like propane, because it's dirt cheap, and I only have to use as much as I want.
If I want to go target shoot 5 rounds in by backyard, easy. If I want to go shoot 100, just gotta bring the can.

My old P99 used C02. Was nice, because one little cartridge lasted an entire day. Past that, meh, but that was gun design issue, not propellant. On a good note, it doesn't smell like really anything.

Wouldn't go back to CO2 myself. Disposing of the cartridges, eh. Also, CO2 was kind of destroying my gun. Too much force, on a gun designed for CO2. The frame was cracking, which is NOT very great. Also, at least for playing games, CO2 tends to push FPS limits.
Propane's downsides, filling midgame is a bit of a pain, and you only get so many rounds a mag before you gotta gas up. It smells terrible. You will need to lube it yourself, lest your mags start leaking.

I'd buy more based off of the gun than the propellant. If both are an option, propane is my pick. Good luck with whatever YOU choose.

EDIT: Also, be aware, there are some cheap CO2 pistols that... well they're cheap. CO2 guns have a higher chance of being low-grade (Not to say you can't get a decent one)
KWA G26c
Sanded slide
airsoftwarrior345
Pawn

Postby airsoftwarrior345 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:52 pm

I place my vote with going propane for your purposes. Gassign up is annoying, but your gun will last much longer. Just dont get a crappy WE like I did lol
baklash 1337
World Class General

Postby baklash 1337 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:22 am

Here's my propane guide.
http://airsoftgiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=23859

You can also use those blue propane bottles that folks normally use with a torch. They are slightly more expensive, but way less cumbersome.
TheProphet
Pawn

Postby TheProphet » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:28 am

I've always been a fan of propane over CO2. If you find the propane bottle to be too large, there are gass chargers available that you can fill with propane and are much smaller.
RichardNuth
Pawn

Gas Comparison CO2 vs Propane

Postby RichardNuth » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:27 am

its WORKS... but over time it will wear down. Propane and green is hard on a TM GBB. If you plan to run Green or propane maybe look at a 26 metal slide? or a glock 19 metal slide easier to find and cheaper

Return to “Gas Guns”