The reality of spring sniping

From KWC pistols to Maruzen APS rifles
B13 2.0
Lance
HumanQuestion: Yes
HumanQuestion2: Yes

The reality of spring sniping

Postby B13 2.0 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Me and my buddy want to become an airsoft sniper team, and we are trying to decide on a sniper rifle. The current budget is $200, (that could go up if we can get somethings sold) we also have a broken airsoft gi custom sniper the g700g. What we are wondering is could we get a sniper with okay-good(200') range and accuracy for $200, should we just get the g700g fixed(would it be worth it performance wise), or just find out the reality of spring sniping(being the actual amount of money and the equipment we would need to do this). If anyone could help us out here, we would really appreciate it. Also if anyone wants to recommend and good spotter weapons, we were thinking a cyma m14. And if anyone would like to brag about there snipers and what as well as how much they put into them or any information that they wish to share, that would be appreciated also. Thanks for your time, and help.
"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
apoctank
Gold General
HumanQuestion2: yes

Re: The reality of spring sniping

Postby apoctank » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:28 pm

$200 isn't close to enough for a good sniper rifle and kit, let alone a two man team, even with a borked rifle. The CYMA M14 makes a great DMR, you should just buy two of those and upgrade them over time
ASG CZ Scorpion Evo 3 A1 - E1 Khyber Pass AKM - WE Tech M4 - G&P XM177E1 - G&P M16A1 - G&P Stoner 63 - G&G SR25 - VFC HK416c - CYMA SVD - Snow Wolf M107A1 - WE Tech Glock 19 - KART M14 JAE - WELL L115A3 - Galaxy MP5K PDW - TM P90TR - TM AUGA1 - Marushin Five seveN - KWA CZ75 - ACM Mk25 - AGM M500 - CAW GP30R
B13 2.0
Lance

Postby B13 2.0 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:28 pm

Sorry I didn't make it more clear, but we each have $200 to invest and thought we would split it one get the dmr the other the sniper. However we were hopping to get some help with the sniper decision. I guess the real question is how should we get started with a $200 budget? Also what would be the best thing to do, fix the gun we have (which could be free: long story) or just buy something else and upgrade it? If we buy something else how much would we need to put into it?
"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
apoctank
Gold General

Postby apoctank » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Most people say a good sniper rifle will run ~$1000, so you've got a ways to go. Personally, I think it can be done for much cheaper, but I don't know too much about sniping so don't take my word for it
ASG CZ Scorpion Evo 3 A1 - E1 Khyber Pass AKM - WE Tech M4 - G&P XM177E1 - G&P M16A1 - G&P Stoner 63 - G&G SR25 - VFC HK416c - CYMA SVD - Snow Wolf M107A1 - WE Tech Glock 19 - KART M14 JAE - WELL L115A3 - Galaxy MP5K PDW - TM P90TR - TM AUGA1 - Marushin Five seveN - KWA CZ75 - ACM Mk25 - AGM M500 - CAW GP30R
baklash 1337
World Class General

Postby baklash 1337 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:56 am

Hop-up and bb weight are huge factors. If you're chrono'ing at, say, 500FPS with .2g bbs, you'll be surprised how much accuracy you can gain by using really heavy bbs (.40g, .43g). I sure was using my Tanaka Model 29 (410 FPS) with .36g bbs as opposed to .25g bbs. The energy behind the bb will also be maintained for longer while in the air, making sure that whomever you hit is going to feel it. This, coupled with a good hop-up (I don't know what you kids are using these days...flat hop? R-hop? REAPS?) should be adequate. You can certainly do this under $200 if you're really, really savvy.

For 100% Tokyo Marui compatibility, you've got the JG BAR-10 and SOCOM Gear M700 as your cheapest options. If you want something cheaper, yet still upgradeable, there's the KART M700 which takes a mix of APS2 and Tokyo Marui parts. Either way, you'll want reinforced sears, a stronger spring, a stronger spring guide, whatever hop-up upgrades you want, and maybe some kind of part or modification that will ease the trigger pull. I'm a firm believer that tightbore barrels do not work, so don't buy one. Don't forget your .43g bbs, an optic, and extra mags and speedloaders.

EDIT: There is a modification you can do to your air nozzle to make the air flow better from the cylinder through it. It will require some milling, but the guy who did it got like a 40FPS increase without even needing to play with a new spring. Airsoft guns are NOT engineered very well from the manufacturer ;)
timbuktoo
Panzer Dragoon

Postby timbuktoo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:33 pm

I say fix the 700, it`s already a bar10 base gun so it's TM spec. It probably has broken sears, since ASGI sears are cheese. after replacing them and putting a REAPS bucking or an R-Hop in it then it would be an ok build until you can get some nicer air seal components.

other things you will want to do immediately are stabilizing the barrel and filling the stock. the stock you fill with foam and clay, this will prevent echoes inside it and make the weapon quieter, and it also helps balance the weapon. the barrel you wrap in a few spots with electrical tape or teflon tape to prevent it from wiggling.

another thing to consider is the spotter's rifle. it should be an aeg with the purpose of defending when opponents get closer than the bolt gun's MED. EDIT: forgot to finish this paragraph. it should have good trigger response and have a close to medium MED, yet ability to hit medium to far (remember fps not= range)

also read this page about airsoft sniping:
http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Sniping-t55244.html
in a nutshell: a good day for a sniper is when he doesnt shoot at all.
"Power may justly be compared to a great river which, while kept within its due bounds is both beautiful and useful; but when it overflows its banks, it is then too impetuous to be stemmed, it bears down on all before it and brings destruction and desolation wherever it comes.”- Andrew Hamilton
A&K Mk43 MOD0JG T3-SAS-GWE M1911
Johnny SCARface wrote:Politician: Adj. means; Dumb as Rocks/Dumb*ss for a Living/One who makes Kardashian's look like Yale Grads.
B13 2.0
Lance

Postby B13 2.0 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

I'm aware that great compression will give great performance, but I don't know how do it. could you recommend any parts for this? Also on the 700 the idea of getting it fixed was to not need upgrades, however with what was laid out it probably wont be a problem to do so. Still I would like to get more opinions on the matter, and if possible a list of upgrades for maximum compression and a budget list, if that's not to much to ask for.

Also to be true to the title of this post, what is the reality of spring snipping/airsoft snipping?
baklash 1337
World Class General

Postby baklash 1337 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:48 pm

You will have the worst rate of fire than anyone else on your team. That's the reality. Some people can manage with that, others can't.
Johnny SCARface
Dragoon
HumanQuestion2: wtf

Postby Johnny SCARface » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:38 pm

baklash 1337 wrote:You will have the worst rate of fire than anyone else on your team. That's the reality. Some people can manage with that, others can't.

this is the truth. several guys I play with talk about being snipers, and only 1 of them, after sniping, says he still enjoys it and does it effectively.

everyone else bought or are buying AEG's :lol:
Primary: JG M4 S-System Enhanced (Working a sick battery mod!!)
Secondary: H&K USP45 CO2 NBB (Broken now :evil: )
timbuktoo wrote:are you kidding it totally exists. james bond had one. :twisted:

link236 wrote:We're really not "ASGI" lovers on this forum. We're just like any other airsoft forum, but we happened to be called the "ASGI forums."
timbuktoo
Panzer Dragoon

Postby timbuktoo » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:33 pm

B13 2.0 wrote:I'm aware that great compression will give great performance, but I don't know how do it. could you recommend any parts for this? Also on the 700 the idea of getting it fixed was to not need upgrades, however with what was laid out it probably wont be a problem to do so. Still I would like to get more opinions on the matter, and if possible a list of upgrades for maximum compression and a budget list, if that's not to much to ask for.

Also to be true to the title of this post, what is the reality of spring snipping/airsoft snipping?

well for a sniper weapon the idea is to get the most consistent FPS, so that it gets a consistent amount of hop. good compression helps this because from shot to shot if some air leaks, it will vary from shot to shot, but if it doesnt leak air, then you get the same FPS each time.

I, personally, would be hesitant to advise you on how to build a BASR since I have never built one before, I have only worked on AEG's and my GBB pistol, but when building my machine gun I built it so that it would have the accuracy of a DMR, so I can advise you on the why's of these things. for AEG's if you lubricate the piston head o-ring correctly you will get very nice air seal. aswell as wrapping the cylinder head with some teflon tape before it attaches to the cylinder.

to get a workable gun out of the g700 will probably not cost too much. and after that you can upgrade it gradually.

as to the reality of sniping it is not at all the stereo type sitting at the corner of your field in a ghillie suit, shooting opponents as if they were paper at a range. it is a lot of recon, hiding, moving, watching, and a whole lot of not shooting. read the thread from ASF that I linked previously, it is the most complete guide that I have come across about airsoft sniping.

also if shooting a bunch of people from really far away is your idea of a sniper, just get the CYMA m14 and follow this thread to the letter (although you may want to skip the hopup part for a reaps or r-hop as it is a bit dated)http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/43-longrange-aegs/892-holy-grail-building-your-dmr-aeg.html

lol sorry about the wall of text.
"Power may justly be compared to a great river which, while kept within its due bounds is both beautiful and useful; but when it overflows its banks, it is then too impetuous to be stemmed, it bears down on all before it and brings destruction and desolation wherever it comes.”- Andrew Hamilton
A&K Mk43 MOD0JG T3-SAS-GWE M1911
Johnny SCARface wrote:Politician: Adj. means; Dumb as Rocks/Dumb*ss for a Living/One who makes Kardashian's look like Yale Grads.

Return to “Spring-Powered Guns”