Help requested on rifle selection.

From KWC pistols to Maruzen APS rifles
Ivizalinto
Pawn
HumanQuestion: Yes
HumanQuestion2: yes

Help requested on rifle selection.

Postby Ivizalinto » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:50 am

Hello to all of you again, Im back after a long absence of school where I was a live in and didnt really get to even hold my rifles let alone get out to play. I come back to my home and behold my house had been broken in to and my rifles were among the things taken. So this being said I really have no hopes to recover them. Which brings us to the topic in question.

Im looking for a decently upgradable spring rifle to use as a recon/sniper position on the local airsoft field around the 150 range. The main things Im looking for are two things really.

Sound! This is a major thing for me...Ive been looking for a quiet rifle rather than the loud piston rifles I seem to be getting all the time. Every time Ive fired a rifle on the field Ive had trouble keeping engaged due to everyone hearing the loud pop of the piston sending the bb down range. Ive fired other bolt action rifles that sound like they have a whisper smooth rolling type piston or something inside them and I really like how quiet they were.

Range. This is always a problem for me as I like to be a more long range combatant. I have a sidearm that they didnt get ahold of that I use for cqc not to mention the local field has a minimum engagement range for bolt's and dmr's anyway. I need to be able to reach over 100 feet with the rifle and maintain a certain degree of accuracy. I can deal with the shot curving and am rather good at adjusting for follow up shots, the issue is getting the round down range without the aeg's sending 1500 rounds back at me.

These two things in mind, I have a little more money to spend than I've listed, but the base rifle Id like to really be in the 150 range. Upgrades will have to be bought over time as Im now between jobs (Thank you seasonal work!) and am looking to get back into the work force. Any information is much appreciated.
A tiny body does not make for a weak person. It does however make a smaller profile to shoot at.
Airsoft Gi Darren
Lance
HumanQuestion2: Yes

Re: Help requested on rifle selection.

Postby Airsoft Gi Darren » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:38 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope they catch the guy.

You'd just want anything that's VSR-10 or APS2 compatible. The two off the top of my head are the JG Bar-10 (VSR-10) & the UTG MK96 (APS2).

As far as making making them more quiet, you'll want to install a sorbo pad on the cylinder head so it cushions the piston head when it makes contact.

Hope that helps.
Ivizalinto
Pawn

Postby Ivizalinto » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:47 pm

Airsoft Gi Darren wrote:I'm sorry to hear that. I hope they catch the guy.

You'd just want anything that's VSR-10 or APS2 compatible. The two off the top of my head are the JG Bar-10 (VSR-10) & the UTG MK96 (APS2).

As far as making making them more quiet, you'll want to install a sorbo pad on the cylinder head so it cushions the piston head when it makes contact.

Hope that helps.

How reliable are the internals on the utg mk96 if you know off hand. I have the page up on the site with this rifle and I need to find a sorbo pad to go with it then...even though i have no clue what a sorbo pad is...too google!

Edit: Found out what sorbo ppads are but theres so many of them that I dont seem to be finding the ones for the utg. A link if you know the on would be very helpful.
A tiny body does not make for a weak person. It does however make a smaller profile to shoot at.
Airsoft Gi Darren
Lance

Postby Airsoft Gi Darren » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:13 pm

The internals on the UTG MK96 are hit and miss. Some batches are absolutely fantastic, while others are simply mediocre. If you're planning on upgrading it though, the stock performance won't matter too much.

The sorbo pad is basically a soft/hard foam pad that is glued between onto the backend of the cylinder head. They are usually for AEG's so you may need to custom fit one for your purposes. Unfortunately, I don't currently know of a website (that's still alive) that can get into more detail right now.

A home-mod, if you can't find a sorbo pad, is to cut out a circle out of thick mousepad foam. Drill a nice hole in the center, and glue that onto your cylinder head.
Ivizalinto
Pawn

Postby Ivizalinto » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:23 pm

Airsoft Gi Darren wrote:The internals on the UTG MK96 are hit and miss. Some batches are absolutely fantastic, while others are simply mediocre. If you're planning on upgrading it though, the stock performance won't matter too much.

The sorbo pad is basically a soft/hard foam pad that is glued between onto the backend of the cylinder head. They are usually for AEG's so you may need to custom fit one for your purposes. Unfortunately, I don't currently know of a website (that's still alive) that can get into more detail right now.

A home-mod, if you can't find a sorbo pad, is to cut out a circle out of thick mousepad foam. Drill a nice hole in the center, and glue that onto your cylinder head.

So basically just get one that has the hole drilled in the center so it maximizes possible material and re-purpose it for the rifle correct?
baklash 1337
World Class General

Postby baklash 1337 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:42 am

Oh hey. I remember you.

There is a JG BAR-10 G-Spec with the short barrel and foam-filled silencer. Now it's an exact copy of the Tokyo Marui VSR-10 G-Spec, which is supposedly VERY quiet. That is probably your best option since it has a huge aftermarket. Don't be fooled by the short barrel, that's got little to do at all with accuracy.

Airsoft Atlanta is the only place I immediately saw that has them in stock. They're good peoples. I recommend you jump on it before it's too late. These things have been hard to come by for a couple years now... I have been keeping track :|
http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/JG-BAR-10-G-Spec-p/88820.htm

Another option for a completely silent boltie is a KJW M700, but it's NOT going to be cheap. I've seen a dude with one hooked up to an HPA rig and custom silencer and I couldn't believe how quiet it was. But a full setup is going to be $500+. Like I said, not cheap.
TheProphet
Pawn

Postby TheProphet » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:00 am

^Exactly what he said. A JG VSR or BAR10 will be your best bet. A UTG is a tad loud in my experience and as was said before, the internals are rather hit and miss.
baklash 1337
World Class General

Postby baklash 1337 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:00 pm

Oh, and one thing that is a notorious problem area on JG BAR-10 rifles is that sometimes the trigger sears don't catch on the piston, causing slam-firing. This can be solved by replacing the sears with some aftermarket ones.

Return to “Spring-Powered Guns”