Do i facepalm, or listen?

If it has a battery and a gearbox, this is where it belongs
SickDistrictChris
Pawn
HumanQuestion: Yes
HumanQuestion2: yes

Do i facepalm, or listen?

Postby SickDistrictChris » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:45 pm

So i brought my gun into my tech today, to check if everything looks as it should, he said i installed everything internally perfectly, shimmed pretty well, and had a nice beautiful gun. I then say, hey, i was having installing my prometheus hop up, and a prommy hard bucking.. I told him how i needed to use a cylinder shaped chisel to shave off a bit of the inside of my gear that you rotate through the dust cover (on my m4). I understood, because i tried installing it and had to kind of force/jam it onto my prommy hop up.

That was issue one. Simple chisel job. Finished.

The next bothersome part was learning that prommy hard buckings are super tight, and are way to tight to fit into even my stock hop up, let alone, the prometheus hop up which i assumed it was made for... *facepalm to you japanese*

My hard bucking tore. Bb's failed to feed corectly as the bucking was too tight and the bb nearly had to be pushed through just to come out... After talking with my tech a bit, he said, never get a new hop up or bucking, stick with the stock hop up and bucking....

I asked, well, doing my research and bringing it up on here, lot's have told me to get a new hop up and bucking for better range as a first step before internal air seal/ compression. He said, false, hop up and bucking has nothing to do with range. Is he right?

Did i pretty much waste $70 on the hop up and bucking? Heres what happened to my prommy bucking. Torn. Below is my stock hop up. still shooting perfectly fine.Image
Weapon Of Pure Affection [WOPA][[Platinum M4]] - Faily Modded
Weapon Of Secondary Resource [WOSR]---KJW Ruger MK1--- - No Mods Necessary
pyromaster55
Dragoon

Re: Do i facepalm, or listen?

Postby pyromaster55 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:06 pm

In my experience the best way to upgrade your AEG's performance is upgraded to a TBB, better hopup bucking, and hop up nub. However I also feel these are actually some of the hardest components to upgrade due to their fragile nature. My biggest question for you is did you use any silicone lubricant to put the bucking on the barrel and in the hop up unit? If not then you will find it VERY difficult to get the hop up/barrel together without ripping the hopup. Your tech is wrong, upgrading your hop up is a great way to get better accuracy/range out of your gun. Look at TM, despite all the problems they have, their hop ups are almost magical at squeezing amazing range out of a 300- FPS gun.
"I love that image of blasting backwards through the pearly gates in a flaming Swedish super car, 'YES I'M HERE, WHERE ARE THE WOMEN?!?"
Jonas
King General
HumanQuestion2: SVD

Postby Jonas » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:19 pm

Woah, Pyro's back. Long time no see.

Your tech's wrong. Aftermarket buckings and hop-up units improve air seal, giving better compression and consistency, as well as putting a more consistent spin on the bb, which again increases your overall consistency as well as range. Prommy hards shouldn't be THAT tight, like Pyro said, you should use some silicone on the outside to help it slide into the hop up unit.
Real Sword SVD and KWA MP7. Accuracy by precision or volume, the choice is mine.
Own it, paint it, mod it, love it
baklash 1337
World Class General
HumanQuestion2: Yes

Postby baklash 1337 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:19 am

Your tech is most definitely wrong. When my CYMA Galil wasn't getting the range I wanted, I put in a Tokyo Marui bucking and it was shooting way over 300ft and not dropping. That is what sold me into believing that hop-up buckings do make a difference.
Minerva
Lance

Postby Minerva » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:27 am

baklash 1337 wrote:Your tech is most definitely wrong. When my CYMA Galil wasn't getting the range I wanted, I put in a Tokyo Marui bucking and it was shooting way over 300ft and not dropping. That is what sold me into believing that hop-up buckings do make a difference.

Cue my skepticism :lol:

Anyways, you seem to be under the impression that it being tight is a bad thing.. It's really not. Sure it will fight you the whole way.. But at least you know your air seal will be spot on.

That kinda seems like a misinstall from the looks of it. I've NEVER seen a bucking rip like that..

Your tech is blowing smoke out of his rear end.. Is there someone else you could possibly go to?

Also, what gun are you using this in?

Lastly, are you making sure you are lining the barrel up properly with the bucking, and that it installs in the chamber the correct way with the hop up turned off, and nub in correct place
Primary: Custom Madbull - SHS Guts
Sidearm: KWA G17
Jonas
King General
HumanQuestion2: SVD

Postby Jonas » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:45 am

I think the best proof of this is the $25 Firefly buckings.

If they didn't make a difference they wouldn't still be around.
Real Sword SVD and KWA MP7. Accuracy by precision or volume, the choice is mine.
Own it, paint it, mod it, love it
SjKimber
Jeweled General

Postby SjKimber » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:06 pm

I rarely see a real Airsoft store 'tech' in the display lounge. Why? Cause they're working on a gun inside the tech area.

All the sale associates in the display lounge have little to none experience in airsoft tech. Also most techs don't have the time to be on the phone talking to someone. Rather they are working on all the airsoft guns that have repair requests.

Increased FPS and a tightbore will give you a MINIMAL amount of increased range/accuracy.
Bucking and hopup are the highest factor for range/accuracy.

I see you purchased a metal hopup UNIT. That was a waste of money.
A hopup UNIT is NOT the hopup we're talking about. The hopup that everyone talks about is the bucking nub and custom nubs/patches.

The tighter the bucking the more airseal you will get.
KWA LM4, VFC M4, KWA m9
all lightly modded and running rock solid for years.
mahabra695
Silver General

Postby mahabra695 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:08 pm

Facepalm HIS head. Kimber is 100% right.
tylerflow wrote:I probably had the shortest spray of 2in.
koolaidz83095
Jeweled General
HumanQuestion2: lol

Postby koolaidz83095 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:27 pm

It may just be the Prometheus hard bucking. Those are known to be finicky unless your gun is shooting an ungodly 500+ fps. You might also want to check your hop up unit itself for any anomalies.

I used a Prometheus soft bucking in all my guns and find them to be the best; I've tried Systema, G&G, and G&P as well. Prometheus makes extremely, albeit expensive, parts and to have one malfunction or break seems to be because of installation error.

If you're tech can't install a bucking correctly, stop paying him :| .
koolaidz - 'Appearing from the depths to complain about life' Edition
epic skills
King General

Postby epic skills » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:40 pm

Hard buckings also don't give as consistent backspin as softer, more grippy buckings. You don't need them until well past 500 fps as well just to seal properly.

Return to “AEGs”