The New ECHO 1 M4 RIS Review by Tim Seargeant

Airsoft Reviews, AEGs, GBBs, Springers, Gear. By Approval Only
faden
|spD|Deviant Admin
HumanQuestion: Yes
HumanQuestion2: yes

The New ECHO 1 M4 RIS Review by Tim Seargeant

Postby faden » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:28 am

If you have been into airsoft for a while then you know about Echo 1, but incase you haven’t here is the shake down. Echo 1 shook up the airsoft market about 10 months ago by providing high performance airsoft guns for a fraction of what you would normally pay. A year go from today if you wanted a quality built airsoft gun, inside and out, you had to spend close, to or more than, $300.00. However if your budget was closer to $150.00 to $200.00 the only airsoft guns available at that price could barely shoot and the only guarantee you had was that it would break, and leave you no other option than to buy another gun. Since October 2006 Echo 1 has been providing durable, performance airsoft guns for players on a budget. The Echo 1 AEG’s performance is on par with well established airsoft gun makers like Tokyo Marui and Classic Army, but Echo 1 only cost about half as much. High performance guns at low costs, it doesn’t get much better than that right? Wrong! This may seem unfathomable but Echo 1 has made their guns even better. One of the hottest selling guns on the market, the Echo1 M4 Carbine, is now available with a rail interface system (RIS). It may seem like only a minor improvement but it can make a world of difference.

RIS units are a must have for players that want an edge over their opponent. The RIS in itself has no bearing on the gun’s firing capability, but what it does is allow for an increase in the gun’s potential and the user’s efficiency. When two players square off against each other the gun with the RIS could be the deciding factor between who sits out and who keeps playing, assuming both players are of similar skill and experience. If tactics and shooting capability are the same then the only remaining factor is physics. The player with the RIS that has a flashlight attached to it will have a fully illuminated target; on the other hand the player with no RIS cannot fire with confidence because they would not be able to see what they are shooting at. Adding a laser sight to a RIS is especially effective for quick target acquisition. By combining those two tools and activating them with pressure switches attached to a vertical grip, which allows the user to fire with a more natural wrist position, the user is completely combat ready.

This gun is a perfect example of a RIS that is utilized to its full potential:

The Echo 1 M4 RIS is the cheapest monetary solution to having a completely upgradeable airsoft gun, internally and externally. The M4 RIS is the perfect airsoft gun for novice players who are ready to buy their first AEG. The price is right, only $155.00, for a gun with sound internals and externals ready to be accessorized as the user develops more skill. When considering what to buy for a first airsoft gun it is important to keep the future in mind. At first thought some might think that they would never use a RIS so they wouldn’t consider spending the money on it. However it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. The Echo 1 M4 RIS is only $10.00 more than the standard M4 Carbine, but if you have regular M4 and bought the RIS separately then the total cost of that gun would be $200.00 or more. It is always going to be a little bit cheaper to buy an airsoft gun already equipped with a RIS than to assemble it afterwards, in the case of the Echo 1 guns it is a lot cheaper. Just try it out for yourself, the best way to understand the advantages of having a RIS is to use one in battle.
GodFather
Pawn

Re: The New ECHO 1 M4 RIS Review by Tim Seargeant

Postby GodFather » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:36 am

I have this rifle, and tbh, sort of displeased with it...

Its sort of, flimsy, the barrel mainly, for example, if you attach a bipod system and lay down with it, the barrel will flex up, so with a scope on the rail (not the RIS on the barrel) it becomes very inaccurate, because the barrel is flexed making the rounds go higher than your sight.

I actually had the idea of mounting the scope onto the RIS so the scope moves with the barrel, I did this using one ring and mounting it very far back on the rail. Still haven't played with it like that though...

Also, the RIS sucks, for some reason, the top and bottom rails are larger than the sides, meaning if you have a slide on, screw on foregrip, you have to jam it on there by use of a table and a lot of force, same goes with bipods, my solution to this was moving the actual RAIL around so the sides couldn't mount things like that, and I don't use them for that anyway... So it actually works nice, and it gets rid of the iron sighting system

And as far as accuracy, maybe it was just the fact the barrel flexed so much when i put pressure on it that I could barely hit targets more than 50 feet away but I think its probably the amount of spread on the gun, but who knows, maybe this is all 150$ airsoft guns and I'm just thinking that they should be better...

Next time I'm going to try to buy something where the barrel isnt like the M4 system, something like a G3 series...

(also, feel free to argue against my points, I'm not a noob when it comes to regular guns, but I am when it comes to Airsoft.)

PS: Whats the replacement motor?

http://i33.tinypic.com/ofrkn8.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/103ue0y.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/29blpvl.jpg

:edit:alba :: edited to urls
ASGI Tim
|asgi|Admin

Postby ASGI Tim » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:04 am

That is a very nice stock and chair you have there. They both look very comfortable.
cat61986
|spD|Celestial Cat
HumanQuestion: Yes
HumanQuestion2: yes

Postby cat61986 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:21 pm

dude, tim, be nice.

godfather: you need to edit down the pictures so that it can fit the screen. atm, faden is trying to figure out a way to expand the screen size of the design we currently have, but he's been busy. if you can, resize your pictures so it's around 600 pixels length. it should fit, then.

if you can somehow do that, send me the link to your pictures so i can edit your original post with pics that we can see in its entirety.
i do, i do emergere dal fondo per lottare e poi
salire in alto più che mai
i do, i do guardare nel futuro e sorridere
con una nuova identit�
Salami
Pawn

Postby Salami » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:26 pm

I actually took my RIS off of my ECHO, to combat the barrel wobble issue I just hold it on the magwell as you see in the picture. Since then this gun has been treated to a metal body upgrade from Guarder and the barrel wobble is greatly reduced with the metal body. It is kinda sad I spent as much on that body kit as the AEG cost me in the first place. ASGI had a hell of a deal last christmas on these Echos and I couldn't resist :D I also ordered from these guys that Crane stock and its so comfy and great to have the high capactity nunchuck back there. I never cared for the fixed stock mine had originally. One of these days I might throw the RIS back on but I got used to just holding the magwell and its automatic now. I also like the standard handguard look, kinda grew on me and I know in my heart if I put the RIS back on there its just too tempting to populate it with some more useless tacticool stuff, aka a slimmer wallet :D although a RIS foregrip with an intergrated flashlight could be useful I suppose.

I've been very happy with this Echo 1 gearbox, it was shimmed perfectly, the upgraded spring once broken in produces 370 fps consistently with AE .20s, ASGI had a test sheet in the box claiming 385 when I bought it so a 15 fps drop isn't bad at all considering this gearbox has very high mileage on it and it still sounds wonderful. I have yet to have to crack the gearbox, its all still stock. Not bad for a sub $200 Marui clone which unfortunately cloned the barrel wobble perfectly, my only real gripe on these as well. The Echo 1 guns are definately a great value for what you get, a really good Marui clone.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to anyone. Awesome base platform to build a custom AEG from.
ASGI Tim
|asgi|Admin

Postby ASGI Tim » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:52 pm

dude, sarcasm, chill

godfather, have you ever considered the PRI replica flip front sight. it's a really easy swap and that way you don't have to turn your triangle sight sideways.
ahrenjb
Pawn

Postby ahrenjb » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:01 pm

The Mad Bull RAS Fix actually works spectacularly, it bridges the gap between the upper receiver rails and the top RIS rail. Adds a lot of stability to the gun, without sacrificing your epic rails.
monkey boy
Pawn

Postby monkey boy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:25 am

We are a shop in south africa we hav jst bought in a whole bunch of the echo 1 M4 RIS and so far am very impressed am going to put them through there paces this week end thanks for the feed back nice to knw what others think. sick looking AEG by the way
SWIFT21
Pawn

Postby SWIFT21 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:13 am

I also have one for about a year the only thing that has broke is the the little tabs inside the body where the pin goes through but after a year you can expect that from any plastic body and same here I would recommend these AEGS to anybody very awesome guns cant get better for the price.
SWIFT
GodFather
Pawn

Postby GodFather » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:48 pm

Yeah, sorry about that rant post and the image sizes, I figured everyone would right click and view image

status on my M4 RIS

The motor stopped functioning halfway through a match

and then I picked the rifle up a month ago and the butt stock literally fell off

I got an Echo 1 MP5, my friend likes it, but im having problems: the gun only fires for 20 rounds and then stops, all together, for a few minutes... and the magazines dont stay in, at all

:( I got bad luck with these things

Return to “Airsoft Reviews”